shootin stuff

8 years 7 months ago
TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
shootin stuff #174
So I recently purchased a CZ P-09 9mm hand gun. My father in law bought a glock 17. and I borrowed a Luger LC9 9mm for my wife to shoot.

I've been around firearms off and on since I was a kid and have fired .22 all the way to .50's. My wife and father in law on the other hand have never even held a gun up to this point let alone fired one. I decided to sign us up for a Shooting 101 class for them which we completed a few hours ago. About 1 hr of instruction and 1 hr of shooting. 40 min drive north of me into the boonies where we had 3 of us, plus 3 others.. on a private range.

Even after being around firearms most of my life and 'knowing' stuff.. I still found the class informative and learned a few good tid bits that I hadn't known before.

My wife was all over the place. Every time she pulled the trigger, the gun would dip down and left and if it wasn't for the 3 yard distance to the target, she would have missed it completely. She's small, and I think the trigger pull on the semi auto's is just to much for her little hand. The instructor let her fire a revolver that he had and she did much better with that.

Dad on the other hand - BAM - bulls eye first time. lol. I think the recoil from the first shot scared him though and he couldn't get another one like that... anticipating the bang will mess you up! lol

I ran through 2 full mags in mine so got off just under 40 shots. Got home, cleaned the gun up and dried it off (it rained the last half hour) and show'ed Dad how to take his apart and clean it.

Very impressed with my new CZ. The mags are a bit expensive compared to a glock, but it has a decocker which I really like.

After the class was over.. both my wife and my father in law - handed me their guns to put a way.. with out checking them.. and BOTH hand a round in the chamber still.. lol.. I guess they weren't paying attention the first hour. Dad laughs at his daughter as I eject the unspent cartridge from the chamber.. and then I eject the one from his gun and his face went white...lol .. lesson learned? we'll see I guess.

All and all a fun day!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 7 months ago
runny
More
shootin stuff #1466
Good thing you checked! Sounds like a lot of fun. CZ is defibately impressive all around but then again I didn't really expect much. Remington put a new .22 on the market recently but before then, CZ seemed to make the only half decent bolt action .22.

8 years 7 months ago
runny
More
shootin stuff #1467
My rifle is sitting here on the table anyway so I thought I'd share a pic.

Let's see your CZ :)
Attachments:

8 years 7 months ago
TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
shootin stuff #1471
Here she is..

That is a TLR-4 Laser/LED Light combo. This is my home defense weapon.

Getting a concealed carry permit soon, so I've been shopping for a smaller gun for that purpose. Been looking at the Springfield Armory XDS 9mm
Attachments:

8 years 7 months ago
Alphaskoom
More
shootin stuff #1478
ive shot the XDS 9mm, nice gun, just be sure the little backstrap safety doesnt depress all the way into the gun, the grips a little sharp back there on one of those types of guns i shot at a range once. kinda cut into my hand a bit, however my XDS 45 didnt have that issue, went with the 45 over the 9 cause i got it for a steal, $350 :P nice gun, its been my carry for the past year and a half at least. ive got two holsters for it, ones a desantis nemesis for in the pocket carry, works quite well, just gotta keep straightening out that little extra flap that keeps it vertical in your pocket every once in a while

8 years 7 months ago
Cygon_Parrot
More
shootin stuff #1480

Nice, great post.

In a similar fashion, I got my first air rifle for Christmas at age seven, a high muzzle velocity Diana. I was lucky that both my parents were gun trained and there was no consternation from either that it would be a device of a disciplined upbringing. My dad (already introduced in another post here) had got his training in the RAF, and he was not above giving me a good, hefty smack round the ear for a few of cases of misuse during those early years; cases just like, leaving it loaded, accidentally letting it point at a person, and neglecting to clean, among a couple others.

I won't go on too much about the rest of it. Coolest rifle I ever fired was the Lee Enfield (SMLE) 0.303, in England years ago. Had a couple of fire arms and a couple of air rifles up until recently here in Ecuador. Unfortunately, the law changed drastically regarding weapons with the new government, and seven years ago there was an exhortation from them for all citizens to "hand them in", even if they were licensed. Of course, all thieves and muggers did not hand in their illegally held weapons. You can imagine what happened for a couple of years after that one, right? LOL!

I managed to hold onto one rifle and one air rifle, under special exemption, due to the fact that my job, apart from regular security and substances screening, also includes yearly psychological evaluation. Lost a nice Winchester 0.410 and a Gamo 0.177 high muzzle velocity air rifle, kept a Marlin 883SS bolt action, rim-fire 0.22, and an old BSA Airsport 0.177 that I have literally had for decades. Only problem is, I cannot take them out anymore, at risk of being fined and sent to jail if caught. Oh, well.

Just a point of interest; I am positive that regular long range shooting kept my eyesight in tip top form for years. Only in the last two years I felt that my eyesight has been going. It still comes up as 20/20 during my eye tests for distance, yet I feel it is terrible, now that I don't shoot. I am way passed the age where I should have started to need glasses now. I wonder what it was once, really, as opticians are a bit silly in that they always stop at 20/20 and don't test for exceptional vision.

8 years 7 months ago
TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
shootin stuff #1482
There is a cabal of gun grabbers here in the states to.

Thankfully the constitution can't be changed willy nilly by criminal politicians who would have law abiding citizens disarmed and unable to protect oneself and family from criminals and tyrants.

See my motto below for what i think about those..

8 years 7 months ago
pyromaniac4002
More
shootin stuff #1483
That CZ bears a striking resemblance to the H&K USP. Very nice.

I got in as much shooting as I could when I was in the Boy Scouts. I kicked ass at shooting skeet, at least compared to a bunch of middle-school-aged kids. I've got an air rifle that hasn't left the closet in at least 10 years, but other than that my gun history revolved mostly around airsoft.

Been to an indoor shooting range a couple times over the past few years, where I've shot one of these guys that they have to rent a couple times:

That was an experience. Favorite though was probably a Kimber 1911 that somehow just felt "right" and made me more accurate. I'd like to get a pistol someday, probably some kind of 1911.

EDIT: Actually I remembered I recorded part of it and put it up on Youtube..

8 years 7 months ago
TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
shootin stuff #1495
Lol.. Hand canon!

8 years 7 months ago
TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
shootin stuff #1496

Funny stuff

8 years 7 months ago
Squid
Administrator
Administrator
More
shootin stuff #1497

Nice, I really like my Smith and Wesson M&P 9. I wasn't sure about switching to striker fire, but I have to admit that the M&P does pretty darn well. I've never had a problem. I've used it in several USPSA matches and it hasn't let me down even with some sand and other debris around the mags. (it's unavoidable here in Nevada)

8 years 7 months ago
TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
shootin stuff #1502
I like that one..might look into it.

I was also thinking possibly the CZ P07 - slightly smaller version of mine -- bonus that I can use the P09 mags in the P07..and all the controls are the same - so moving between them would be seamless..

8 years 7 months ago
TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
shootin stuff #1549
What do you all think of pistol caliber carbines ?

8 years 7 months ago
pyromaniac4002
More
shootin stuff #1550
lol, I'm sitting here just like "MOVE THE RIGHT FOOT 6 INCHES BACK." Of course they never do.

EDIT: (In response to the video.)

8 years 7 months ago
Vampyre
Administrator
Administrator
More
shootin stuff #1552

Not my cup of tea. I leave the pistol caliber carbines alone because I don't see a real purpose in having a small short ranged round in a larger frame. My preferred round is the 7.62x51 but I do have a few 5.56x45 rifles for plinking cans. I use pistol caliber for my pistols. I feel that is where they belong.

8 years 7 months ago
TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
shootin stuff #1553
I think these are perfect home defense / range / plinking fun.

Here are the pro's that I could think of:
1. Cheaper to shoot. The 9mm is almost half the cost of a 5.56 round.
2. Most of these carbines use some OTHER magazine type, like a glock or M&P making it swap-able with your pistol.
3. Tend to be smaller and simpler to use. The wife could pick it right up and defend the home.
4. The JR Carbine in particular can be changed from 9, 40, 45 caliber with a kit.
5. So now we are using the same type mags (possibly) and same type round as your hand gun.

Depends on what you use it for I suppose. I live in the burbs and probably won't be taking any long shots, but these things can still do well out to 100 yards depending on your setup and skill.

8 years 7 months ago
Vampyre
Administrator
Administrator
More
shootin stuff #1554

For home defense the pistol is the better option in my opinion due to its compact size making it easier to use in confined spaces and around corners. I never liked using M-500's, M-16's or M-4's inside buildings just for that reason. I did quite a bit of practice in room clearing/building clearing when I was Auxiliary Security Force.

8 years 7 months ago
runny
More
shootin stuff #1558
Personal opinion?

They are guns that only serve a single purpose -shooting people.

Even for plinking I'd rather shoot a .22lr and save a lot on ammo and has the same or better accurate range.

So unless I was planning on shooting someone or was expecting the situation to arise where I wanted to shoot someone, I wouldn't be interested in it at all.

Also, personally, I don't take home defense to mean that I need to be a one-man swat team. Hell I'm such a deep sleeper that they could steal my bed and I'd never know until morning; what's a fancy gun going to help me then?

Besides, I'd rather lose the TV then have a gunfight in the house.

8 years 7 months ago
pyromaniac4002
More
shootin stuff #1559
I for one never like to sleep unless I'm under one of these puppies pointed right at the door.

lol, yeah I don't know if I'd ever get a gun for home defense. For me it's a recreational activity. I know I'd save a shitload with a .22 but I couldn't live with an actual gun that's still just another peashooter. I mean I might as well fix my airsoft M-4 and shoot things from across the room.

8 years 7 months ago
Cygon_Parrot
More
shootin stuff #1560

Yeah, pistols don't have the barrel length to get the old V<sup style="vertical-align: super; font-size: smaller;">2</sup> part of the kinetic energy formula going, like rifles. Even small bore rifles are lethal because the projectiles arrive at a phenomenal rate of feet per second and cause all sorts of sonic shock damage to tissue and flesh. With pistols it is all about compensating the lack of velocity with slug weight.

My chief educator in gun matters, once again, told me a story about the adoption of the 0.45 instead of the 0.38 when the U.S was fighting a savage bunch of Indonesian rebels. These guys used to get themselves into fighting frenzies, and the 0.38 was just not enough to stop them in their tracks. Enter the 0.45. Knocked them off their feet. I remembered this story as read Pyro's post just now, and looked it up . Turns out it is true. My dad was quite a gun historian, after all.

If I could have another weapon, and were it to be a hand gun; no less than the Browning 0.45 would be the one, as much for its historical heritage as the fact it is, well, an efficient brute!

:lol:

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds