The Fighting 99th Air Wing

AIR : LAND : SEA : FIGHT!

Cat Eye Tanks

7 years 6 months ago
Zulu
More
Topic Author
Cat Eye Tanks #5299
<span style="font-family: Tahoma;">I try to keep things as straight forward as possible and avoid mods as well. However, somewhere along the line, my F-15C external tanks have this funky skin. It's been like this forever it seems. I just can't figure this one out. Any ideas how to get rid of this skin, or better yet get the default for this?

Thanks.......</span>
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 6 months ago
Cygon_Parrot
More
Cat Eye Tanks #5300
It is an old thread, but could it be THIS ?

7 years 6 months ago
Zulu
More
Topic Author
Cat Eye Tanks #5302
That does seem applicable.
I remember now early on I wanted to use a skin representing my old fighter wing and that was appear in multiplayer. It appeared in the little practice missions I would create, but that was it.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. LUA files scare the hell out me...
We'll see what happens.

Thanks again.

7 years 6 months ago
pyromaniac4002
More
Cat Eye Tanks #5317
Yeah it looks like it's just looking at the wrong PTB texture or a corrupted one.. You might try a repair on your DCS install and see if that takes care of it, but if it doesn't you just need a copy of that aggressor skin's PTB to replace whatever that is. Would be happy to dig one up myself and post it right now, but I'm at work.

7 years 6 months ago
Zulu
More
Topic Author
Cat Eye Tanks #5329
Well, if you can get those files to me that would be great. I did repairs, it's the same. Also it only appears in multi-player.

7 years 6 months ago
pyromaniac4002
More
Cat Eye Tanks #5331
First you'll want to check your description.lua file located in C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\Bazar\Liveries\F-15C\65th Aggressor SQN (WA) MiG. It should look like this:
livery = {
	{"f15nose", 0 ,"f15_nose2",true};
	{"f15nose", 3 ,"f15_decol2",true};
	{"f15bottom", 0 ,"f15_bottom2",true};
	{"f15bottom", 3 ,"f15_decol2",true};
	{"f15centr", 0 ,"f15_centr2",true};
	{"f15wingl", 0 ,"f15_wing_l2",true};
	{"f15wingl", 3 ,"f15_decol2",true};
	{"f15wingr", 0 ,"f15_wing_r2",true};
	{"f15stab", 0 ,"f15_stab_v2",true};
	{"f15stab", 3 ,"f15_decol2",true};
	{"f15numbers", 0 ,"f15_numbers",true};
	{"pilot_F15_patch", 0 ,"pilot_F15_patch_65B_sqdn",true};
	{"pilot_F15_00_body", 0 ,"pilot_f15_00_b",true};
	{"f15PTB", 0 ,"f15_PTB",true};
}

countries = {"USA","AUSAF"}

The {"f15PTB", 0 ,"f15_PTB",true} part at the end there is what you want to make sure matches. If that's fine then it could be a corrupted texture, but now that I look at it this is the same PTB texture that most of the liveries use. So if it's doing this on the 65th Agressor MiG skin, in theory it should be doing it on a lot of different skins. If that's the case, you can delete f15_ptb.bmp.dds located in C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\Bazar\Textures\f-15.zip, then run the DCS repair again, and it should download a new copy for you. I tried to upload mine but every time it throws back this "HTTP error" BS.

7 years 6 months ago
Zulu
More
Topic Author
Cat Eye Tanks #5336
First of all Pyro thanks so much for your help. The lua file looks like the one you posted, and as you surmised this is happening with other skins as well. I blew the file out as you said, and same result. I even went back and blew out the entire F-15 zip file with the same issue.

Banging my head......

Zulu

7 years 6 months ago
pyromaniac4002
More
Cat Eye Tanks #5340
Hmm..

One last thing I can think of is if you ever installed a custom F-15 skin, whoever made it could've been extraordinarily lazy and inconsiderate (or completely ignorant of how the liveries work) and they may have put in a PTB texture that's overriding the default one in the .zip file. Go to C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\Bazar\Textures\ again and make sure there isn't an "f-15" folder in there (a regular folder in addition to the .zip). If there is and you see an "f15_ptb.bmp.dds" or similar "f15_ptb.dds" thing, delete that and it should take care of it.

Otherwise for some reason the repair operation is giving you the same cat eyes texture for the ptb.dds, and I have no idea how it would manage to do that. If you deleted the entire f-15.zip, the repair definitely gave you a new copy if you were able to get in game and see an F-15 without crashing. Really hoping you find an f-15 folder on the next attempt.. :P

7 years 5 months ago
Zulu
More
Topic Author
Cat Eye Tanks #5407
Cygon &amp; Pyro
Thanks again for your help patience and help. I finally found the images responsible for the cat eye tanks. Finally things look as they should. This is where they resided:
C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\Bazar\TempTextures
C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\Bazar\TempTextures\temptextures

Thanks again,
Zulu

7 years 5 months ago
Cygon_Parrot
More
Cat Eye Tanks #5408
Yay! Good show, man!

7 years 5 months ago
pyromaniac4002
More
Cat Eye Tanks #5418
Huh, temptextures.. Never heard/seen of that before. Glad to learn about it because I definitely would have gone insane trying to figure that out had it happened to me.

Congrats on your new, old grey drop tanks! :P

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds