The Fighting 99th Air Wing

AIR : LAND : SEA : FIGHT!

DCS: F-14 News

6 years 10 months ago
pyromaniac4002
More
DCS: F-14 News #8007
The textures on the TCS are remarkable.. It's like you can feel the salt in the air just looking at it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 9 months ago
JINX
Elite Member
Elite Member
More
Topic Author
DCS: F-14 News #8238
Not really akin to the progress or development of the F-14. But here's news from HB some music you'll find in the cassette player when you jump in the Cat for the first time:

forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3181098&postcount=1

Teaser track:

[BBvideo=560,315]
[/BBvideo]

6 years 9 months ago
Ultraking
More
DCS: F-14 News #8239
So is there any talk about whether or not the Aim 54 Phoenix is going to be included in the F14 module? Seems like it may be a little OP to have an LRM like that.

6 years 9 months ago
JINX
Elite Member
Elite Member
More
Topic Author
DCS: F-14 News #8240
AIM-54s are confirmed. Also they will be trying to implement the Iran-type 14's with there respective Iran/Russia configs.

Here's an interesting tid-bit from a former 14D maintainer about systems use in the Delta (F-14D is even farther off that the A/B models):

forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2671229&postcount=38

Hello guys this is my first reply on these forums ever. First things first....I am a Navy veteran. I served in Operation Iraqi Freedom with VF-2 Bounty Hunters on board the USS Constellation. I was an AT2(Aviation Electronics Technician,2nd class petty officer.) There are a few things I would like to clear up regarding the F-14D here just to make sure information is as accurate as it can be.

1) All F-14D's had datalink capability which enabled them to send and receive still pictures, and even video. ROVER 3 was only available to Deltas that were originally built as Deltas, none of the Deltas that were Alphas before, and then upgraded to a Delta had the capability. ROVER 3 did in fact send real time video, and I've seen it done .

2) I would imagine the LANTIRN pod functions pretty similarly to the A+/B, since the LANTIRN I believe was designed for F-15 Strike Eagle. So in essence it's the same exact thing. The only difference is the F-15 had two control sticks in the NFO's seat(one on each side of the console areas), while the Tomcat had only one(on the left side).

3) Right before the war, we were heavily modifying the Deltas to be JDAM capable. We updated the software from D03B to D04. Along with adding in the hardware to do it. It was a very hectic time for us, because we knew that we were going to war.

4) The Delta's RADAR was very different from the earlier models. It replaced most of the AWG 9 system in favor to the APG-71. The only commonality that it shared was the AWG 9 transmitter, which was left unchanged. The range was 150+ miles....at high altitude. It is capable of tracking 36 targets simultaneously, not 24. One Tomcat, of a squadron of 10 could track over half of their phoenix complement, and guide them to their targets. There has never been a more powerful RADAR system in a fighter jet to this day.

5) The AIM 54 had an active RADAR that allowed the missile to become independent from the Tomcat. So theoretically the Tomcat never had to achieve RADAR lock, however it is better to get the RADAR lock since the missile's RADAR range was significantly shorter. The missile could also interrogate mode 4, friend or foe to prevent friendly fire mishaps. Also a Tomcat could launch the phoenix and have an E-2 Hawkeye guide the missile to it's target. I don't care what people say, the Phoenix missile is still a ****ing missile, you don't want one shot at you....Period.

6) During the first Gulf War, the Air Force favored their F-15's over the F-14's not because of lack of IFF capability, but because the F-15 was their jet. I have talked to Pilot's who flew during that war, that were still pissed off about that.

6 years 9 months ago
Ultraking
More
DCS: F-14 News #8241
Thanks for the heads up, that is really cool. If some of that stuff gets modeled, I don't even know what to say.

"The missile could also interrogate mode 4, friend or foe to prevent friendly fire mishaps. Also a Tomcat could launch the phoenix and have an E-2 Hawkeye guide the missile to it's target."
Damn.

6 years 8 months ago
Vampyre
Administrator
Administrator
More
DCS: F-14 News #8595
So, according to the white paper Heatblur have released, the AIM-54 cannot perform realistically within the DCS world engine. The AIM-54 was limited to 7g's for their range numbers to even be close to RL performance figures. Anything higher than 7g's causes range figures to drop drastically. The AIM-54 is rated at 18g's IRL so what it is like in the game is just over a third of what it should be. That means it will be very easy to out rate and out radius this missile... to the point that it is not worth even putting on the plane in the first place. In multiplayer, the aircraft are usually all highly maneuverable tactical aircraft and unless the pilots are asleep and flying straight and level this missile will miss. This is my assessment and assumes ED does not fix their DCS World engine and HB leave the missile with the 7G limit as it is at the moment.

White paper:
media.heatblur.se/AIM-54.pdf

forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=191034

6 years 8 months ago
pyromaniac4002
More
DCS: F-14 News #8596
Yeah I read through that as well.

It doesn't sound like a terribly complicated fix, just giving the missile logic a lower G-limit outside of the terminal phase, but who knows what ED could do to fuck it up or delay it.. And I think you're spot-on, Phoenixes will be useless as a weapon to shoot down player-controlled fighters if we get them with the 7 G restriction in place. A missile guidance logic update had better be at the tippy-top of ED's to-do list, really don't want to get our Tomcats and be stuck for months with a Phoenix that handles like the very earliest air-to-air missiles to have existed.

Maybe we'll get lucky and it'll be fixed before the release. We get so much bad luck with developments in DCS, eventually something good has to happen if only by accident, right?

6 years 7 months ago
Vampyre
Administrator
Administrator
More
DCS: F-14 News #8825
Some F-14 Marketing. Flight Model stuff.

forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=192812

[BBvideo=560,315]
[/BBvideo]

6 years 7 months ago
JINX
Elite Member
Elite Member
More
Topic Author
DCS: F-14 News #8829
Personally, I'm very excited for this aircraft. I never thought I would be less excited to get a flight sim for a F-18; but competing against the Tomcat and the AV-8B, the Hornet (for me) takes a back seat.

6 years 7 months ago
Vampyre
Administrator
Administrator
More
DCS: F-14 News #8841
Mudspike article on the F-14's flight model. I love real pilots airplanes which makes this one very exciting.

www.mudspike.com/heatblur-f-14ab-flight-model-insiders-report/

6 years 6 months ago
Vampyre
Administrator
Administrator
More
DCS: F-14 News #9014
Here's an interesting development:
forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3264706#post3264706

Looks like there might be some hardware for all you Maverick wannabe's out there... and Maverick too.

6 years 4 months ago
WD16
More
DCS: F-14 News #9144
For those of you who want to practice your EPs before the release

www.scribd.com/doc/51612608/NATOPS-Pocke...amp;medium=affiliate

6 years 4 months ago
Stink inc
More
DCS: F-14 News #9157
F-14 Hype only 23 days to deliver then lol!

6 years 4 months ago
WD16
More
DCS: F-14 News #9159

We'll see if they make it. Amy trying to keep myself from buying Harrier. We'll see if I make it.

6 years 4 months ago
pyromaniac4002
More
DCS: F-14 News #9160

I take it you're budgeting for only one module this month? At this point I'm thinking they're slipping to more of a last-day-in-January or February release. I would have expected to see a lot more of the Heatblur hype-train in motion if it were really a couple of weeks away from being available for purchase. Even though the Viggen may have been hyped a little extra because it was their pet project, I'd bet they're planning some similar moves for the Cat and we've barely seen anything at all still.

Harrier is fantastic. If you're just counting on having a Tomcat in 4 or 5 weeks I'd recommend giving in to the S/VTOL sensation. In the long term it's something you'll probably want to have in your collection anyways.

6 years 3 months ago
Vampyre
Administrator
Administrator
More
DCS: F-14 News #9230
Looks like Heatblur are working on a LANTIRN pod for their Tomcat.
forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3358894&postcount=1

6 years 2 months ago
Vampyre
Administrator
Administrator
More
DCS: F-14 News #9279

6 years 2 months ago
Zulu
More
DCS: F-14 News #9281
This and the F-4 is really going to be worth wait!
Attachments:

6 years 1 month ago
Vampyre
Administrator
Administrator
More
DCS: F-14 News #9302
SATA Heatblur interview on the F-14. We are getting an F-14B, F-14A and Iranian F-14A. There are also assets to be shipped with it one of which will be very useful and will enhance the F-14 itself... my guess is it is an E-2C Hawkeye that will be able to datalink with the Link 4. www.twomoreweeks.net/heatblur-interview-report-sata2018/

5 years 1 month ago
Vampyre
Administrator
Administrator
More
DCS: F-14 News #9454
Release Trailer
[BBvideo=560,315]
[/BBvideo]

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds