Leatherneck Sims update

8 years 7 months ago
Arctic
Premium Member
Premium Member
More
Topic Author
Leatherneck Sims update #173
This was posted quite a while ago, but if anyone missed it (like I did): forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=146655

Summary:
  • Team expanding even further
  • Tons of fixes and additions on the MiG-21 in the next patch
  • F-14 mostly in systems modelling phase, with the note that "many of the F-14s' systems are possibly simpler than one of our unannounced aircraft." Hmm...
  • Three theatres in development, roughly 1 for each new aircraft, plus a little detail about the process. Nothing about what they are though.
Now the section that has me excited:
  • Two aircraft announcements coming up. One in October, and the other this month as "part of a larger project."
  • A bunch of stuff that basically amounts to "your jaws aren't ready for the drop."
  • Manual for one of the new aircraft is somewhere between 350-400 pages.
  • Elaboration on the developments of new codebases and such, mostly for systems and avionics:Ground Mapping and Targeting Radar
    Complex missiles with Advanced Targeting Parameters
    Custom shaders for enhanced visual fidelity (e.g. CRT Screen representation)
    Unique visual features (In-pilot customization, etc.)
    New audio cues and enhanced fidelity
    Far more complex avionic and computer systems than in the MiG-21
    New and unique PFM features and aerodynamic configurations
    New or unique methods of propulsion or force distribution

The last chunk of the post is making me squirm in the best possible way. What could require "new and unique PFM features and aerodynamic configurations" and "new or unique methods of propulsion"?

Hmm....

I wish! Lots of signs pointing to us getting a Viggen, though, and that would be just about day 1 for me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 7 months ago
Squid
Administrator
Administrator
More
Leatherneck Sims update #1498
There is also a bit of hints thrown towards the A6 Intruder. A carrier based (although older) strike aircraft. It would be like an old a10 off the carrier. I would have to get this one if it was announced. I love ground pounding and would love to fly that piece of awesome aviation history.

8 years 7 months ago
Vampyre
Administrator
Administrator
More
Leatherneck Sims update #1499
From all of the hints I have seen my guess is for an AJ-37 Viggen and an F4U Corsair (or possibly a Japanese WWII plane).

I'd Love to see an A-6E Intruder in DCS but I have a feeling that RAZBAM might be covering that platform.

8 years 7 months ago
Arctic
Premium Member
Premium Member
More
Topic Author
Leatherneck Sims update #1500
Screw it, Viggen would be a confirmed day 1 purchase no matter what at this point. I really like that plane.

8 years 7 months ago
runny
More
Leatherneck Sims update #1501
I'm totally unfamilier with the viggan but all of those planes look like cool choices for DCS, especially the intruder.

I probably wouldn't buy the corsair since I don't play the WWII planes (yet) but it's my childhood favorite plane.

8 years 7 months ago
Arctic
Premium Member
Premium Member
More
Topic Author
Leatherneck Sims update #1503
AJ-37 variant Viggen is primarily a strike aircraft with a secondary interceptor role (J = Swedish jakt = pursuit), as opposed to the JA-37 primary interceptor variant. It's kinda analogous to the Tornado strike variants. Viggen is STOL-capable with thrust reversers and some pretty hefty gear, since they had a network of mini bases hidden in the woods on Swedish roads during the Cold War, and there's some pretty awesome video of these things doing STOL operations on pretty small stretches of hilly roads. It was pretty cool to read and see how they'd drop onto a forest road, kick on the reversers, reverse into a little cutout on the side of the road, then move some trees attacked to a fence of sorts in front of the plane, and the entire little thing would disappear from any sort of distance.

AJ-37 can carry ASMs, rockets, gunpods, and even Mavericks later on (65H I think), along with Winders and such.

The possible anti-ship stuff is really exciting to me, since I do enough of it already. There was a tactic Sweden trained on in the 70s and 80s where the Viggens would just skim the surface of the water to evade detection, and then fire their RB-04Es (sea-skimming, active-radar ASMs, with automatic HOJ!) and peel off. This excites me greatly.

No I don't care if LNS hasn't announced it. If I want it bad enough it'll happen, I tell myself.

8 years 7 months ago
runny
More
Leatherneck Sims update #1504
Thanks artic, I went and looked it up too after I wrote that.

8 years 7 months ago
pyromaniac4002
More
Leatherneck Sims update #1513
I read through that update ages ago but totally missed that part about PFM/advanced thrust technique whatever.. You really think that could refer to a thrust reverser? I would think it was something more involved like the Osprey or something too, but who knows. If I were placing my bet though I would go with you guys and the Viggen, seems much more plausible.

8 years 7 months ago
Arctic
Premium Member
Premium Member
More
Topic Author
Leatherneck Sims update #1528
I was doing that thing where you just kinda screw around on the internet on your phone while half-asleep in bed and saw an announcement post for the Viggen and MV-22 with some gorgeous screencaps, then I fell back asleep. Woke up later and realised that dreams can be very weird some days. :huh:

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds