BST F-4E Phantom II

6 years 8 months ago
Vampyre
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
BST F-4E Phantom II #8676
Awesome news! BST have revealed they are creating a DMAS ARN-101 F-4E Phantom II.

belsimtek.com/news/1787/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 8 months ago
Zulu
More
BST F-4E Phantom II #8679
I had just a little exposure to this bird when the F-16 was phasing it out, at Hill A.F.B., Utah. She's a maintenance nightmare, and proved if you had powerful enough engines, even a brick can fly...None the less, I think the F-4 will be have to be an essential plane to have and master.

Attachments:

6 years 8 months ago
pyromaniac4002
More
BST F-4E Phantom II #8680
Ohhh I can't wait..

Just gonna be fantastic with the MiG-21, F-5, and whatever that other thing was (MiG-19?).. Just need a Vietnam map to go with it.

6 years 8 months ago
Fencer
Premium Member
Premium Member
More
BST F-4E Phantom II #8681
Shrikes gonna be awesome too. The Weasels were manly, although involuntarily:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Weasel#Motto_and_traditions

6 years 8 months ago
pyromaniac4002
More
BST F-4E Phantom II #8683
That's one thing I was wondering about, it's going to have Shrikes but it's not a full-fledged Weasel right? That was the G-model. How much SEAD capability can we expect?

6 years 8 months ago
Cygon_Parrot
More
BST F-4E Phantom II #8686

At one stage, when we were first naming the 4th AS, it nearly got the name "YGBSM", on Vampyre's suggestion.

Been personally hoping for a weasel variant of an F-4 or an F-105 for DCS since I first started playing it. I'm just a tad disillusioned with the way DCS in general has been developing recently, however, that I am not as excited as I might have been (tell the truth, I'm about to wipe it off my drive).

I could say something about the Shrike, but I'll step aside for Vampyre's comment, instead. ;)

6 years 8 months ago
Vampyre
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
BST F-4E Phantom II #8687
The AGM-45 Shrike was an inadequate missile when it was first developed at China Lake in the 60's. It had short range, slow speed and was limited to specific radar frequencies by it's seeker. You had to know exactly what radars you would be engaging before takeoff and if you ran up against any unexpected threats the missile could not see it. It was at least something to use to suppress enemy SAM's that helped to get in to use cannon, iron bombs/CBU's/Napalm to destroy the site.

The F-4E we will be getting is a DMAS/ARN-101 upgraded aircraft. It is a fighter/bomber with precision navigation equipment that improved its air to ground bombing prowess. It is not a Wild Weasel. A Wild Weasel is an aircraft modified under Project Weasel with sensors and systems to specifically target enemy SAM's. The F-4E does not have these sensors or systems. As for SEAD/DEAD the F-4E Phantom II is capable of performing the mission but it will be a lot more hazardous without an F-4G Wild Weasel V to locate and suppress the SAM radars. When they were operational, the F-4E's were paired with the F-4G Wild Weasel V aircraft in hunter/killer teams. The F-4G was the hunter and the F-4E was the killer. Usually the F-4G would be armed with AGM-78 Standard ARM, AGM-88 HARM, AGM-45 Shrike or AGM-65 Maverick to locate/suppress the radars and the F-4E fighter/bombers would dive in and finish the site off with Maverick's, Iron Bombs/CBU's and cannon fire.

The DMAS/ARN-101 F-4E's were operational from about 1982 to about 1992... late Cold War like the MiG-21Bis, UH-1H, Mi-8MTv2 and F-5E we have in game. other upcoming aircraft announced to be in development from the period are the Mi-24P Hind and F-14A Tomcat. It is one of my favorite time periods for combat aviation.

6 years 8 months ago
Cygon_Parrot
More
BST F-4E Phantom II #8689
Thanks Vampyre! Good read as always. :D

I'll just add that we would need them to include a representation of the SA-2 Guideline for the general "threat environment" to be completely accurate to SEA OPS. We're still missing that one, last I checked. But as you have already pointed out, even the specific E upgrade isn't precisely Vietnam era, so fair enough.

PS: Somewhere I saw a screenie of an F-105 under development for DCS, which appeared to be a "G" with what looked like a Standard on the rail. There would be a little less wiggle room with that particular one to be getting more or less exactly what we would be expecting, right?

6 years 8 months ago
Vampyre
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
BST F-4E Phantom II #8690
That was RAZBAM teasing the F-105G Wild Weasel III a few years ago.

The SA-2 Guideline was still a viable system for third world countries even up until the 1990's. It was responsible for shooting down an F-15E in 1991 and some countries still use the system.

6 years 8 months ago
pyromaniac4002
More
BST F-4E Phantom II #8691
Okay, that's pretty much what I had in mind.. So we can carry Shrikes, but we won't have full functionality to detect and cue them on emitters, right? That would have been part of the avionics package that distinguished the WW variant. I take it the way we'll have to use AGM-45s with this is more of a "point and shoot" type of thing where we just try to fire it in the general direction of a threat? Definitely a lot less precise or lethal than the existing SEAD capability, but I can recall many occasions where I could have used such a "shoot from the hip" ARM weapon to take out a pop-up SA-15 threat and the like.

But as far as what the F-4E really excels at, I'm guessing we'll be using it for a lot of Maverick slinging and I also read that it could carry the GBU-15 which I hope they'll include, so it sounds to me like mostly it will be a strike platform with some fairly decent PGM capability. And a Fishbed-killer.

6 years 8 months ago
Vampyre
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
BST F-4E Phantom II #8692
As I understand it, you have to set up the switcholigy to fire the AGM-45 Shrike and then turn the aircraft using the ADI to line up the shot. When the ADI reaches zero you are lined up and can take the shot. No range information is given though only azimuth (Wild Weasel capability the F-4E doesn't have) so you have to know exactly how far the SAM site is from your aircraft for the missile to reach it's target. Usually the SAM's will be firing at you before you are in range so you should know exactly where they are. I believe there are two modes used to fire the Shrike, Direct fire and Loft. Loft will give you a little more range but it is still not very good.
That is exactly what it is. GBU-15, Pave Tack + LGB's, Mavericks and Iron Bombs/CBU's. The DMAS upgrade added a primitive CCIP mode to the gunsight which will help a lot with bombing... vice the manual mode the F-5E has currently (F-4E also has manual mode as a backup on the gunsight). I'd expect the F-4E to hold its own against a Flogger as well.

6 years 8 months ago
Cygon_Parrot
More
BST F-4E Phantom II #8693

I might be totally wrong, but was it the Pave Knife they used on the Paul Doumer Bridge attack? Would be nice to have the option to using that rather archaic system, too, I think. :D

I'll be looking that up real quick, now, to refresh my memory.

PS: Plus, I think that very mission is in CMANO, which I'll have a look at tomorrow. Just got back home and it is too late now, for all that.

6 years 8 months ago
Vampyre
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
BST F-4E Phantom II #8694
The DMAS ARN-101 birds had PAVE Spike and PAVE Knife capability removed to be able to use the PAVE Tack. The Vanilla F-4E's still in service at the same time as the DMAS ARN-101 jets maintained PAVE Spike capability until their removal from service in 1993.

6 years 5 months ago
Vampyre
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
BST F-4E Phantom II #9089
Looks like BST are taking a page out of the Razbam PR handbook with their F-4E.

forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3278678#post3278678

6 years 5 months ago
Maarku
More
BST F-4E Phantom II #9094

I live a stone's throw away from Runway 14, love it! It does suck that the last of the F-16's got phased out of here over the summer though. All I see now is the flying turd, aka F-35.

6 years 5 months ago
corn950
More
BST F-4E Phantom II #9096
I worked on RF-4's at the Boneyard in Arizona turning them into drones for 5+ years. Great bird and it was always hard knowing we were pulling them out of storage just to be blown out of the sky.

6 years 5 months ago
Squid
Administrator
Administrator
More
BST F-4E Phantom II #9097

I've always wondered how that works, are they just big RC planes when you were done with them?

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds