AIR : LAND : SEA : FIGHT!

Fighting 99th Forum

Look what you can find in the woods....

7 years 1 week ago
Weaz3L
More
Topic Author
Look what you can find in the woods.... #7386

I find lots of cool things, tarantulas, bears, elk, stuff like that.....but a Tomcat or a Phantom!?
Man!! Some people have all the fun...

(as a side note: Lets hope this isnt the alpha for DCS F14 and F4....looks like its passing QA...slightly broke :lol: )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 1 week ago
pyromaniac4002
More
Look what you can find in the woods.... #7387
Wow. That's an amazing find.

That's an awful lot of aluminum to just leave sitting around until the end of time. And in my total non-expert observation it looks like the wing root box on that F-14 is pretty much all there, so that's a serious investment of titanium too. If it were in my back yard I'd be all too happy to hang out and watch sunsets resting on top of an F-14 wing glove vane, but how and why did that all get left there?

7 years 6 days ago
JINX
Elite Member
Elite Member
More
Look what you can find in the woods.... #7389
....man, nothing that cool ever happens in my back yard!!

The graffiti and small arms bullet impacts to the F-4 show that at least a few other people know these things were around. Besides all the comical theories in the Youtube comments sections (i.e. Alien abduction and then dropped off) I'll throw my official 'what coulda happened' out there.

I think they were scheduled to be moved to scrap or the boneyard after de-mil/gutting. A shipping contractor was hired to move the aircraft - and either the good'ol Gov'ment was not paying or otherwise disgruntled the truck driver and the shipment was "lost". Or maybe stolen...truck driver stops and runs into the Kwik-E-Mart and comes out to an empty lot. Anyway I see skids and other pallets of metal around so i'm leaning towards scrap and definitely would have required a F/E loader (or EBFL) to unload.

Investigative brain on; there's at least 10 years of growth around the aircraft. Landscape/wooded area can change a lot in 10+ years. Spray paint on aircraft looks old and weathered; Joker = most likely the author, writes backwards number four multiple times (wish there was close ups on graffiti; H-C-R(or K)-J is probably gang tag with J meaning Joker as the author). There's a lot of other big junk metal laying around in the background - so probably not that far from an access road.

The Navy should - should have record of the disposition of the aircraft (two F-14s and one F-4) and hopefully the contractor who was hired to move the assets. Or record of the write off when the planes went missing.

In my personal work I've dispositioned/scrapped hundreds of millions worth of government owned property and once the truck leaves there isn't much follow-up to make sure the truck was received on the other side. I've never been involved with aircraft - but I cannot recall once looking into a dispositioned shipment once it has left my dock. The receiving entity uploads the doc electronically and the asset is closed in the property book.

Sorry for the long post - but mysteries like this, especially logistical mysteries. tickle me my interests..

7 years 6 days ago
runny
More
Look what you can find in the woods.... #7391
I still think it was aliens.

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds