AIR : LAND : SEA : FIGHT!

Fighting 99th Forum

Capturing areas

6 years 9 months ago
Southpaw
More
Topic Author
Capturing areas #8312
I'm relatively new to mission editing, but I'm coming along with it quite quickly. I've got MIST and CTLD operating correctly.

One thing I can't quite figure out is how the "capturing" of areas that aren't bases is accomplished. The example that I am thinking of is Capture of Echo Bay. Is this script based, or is this a basic function of the mission editor? If it's a 99th secret, I understand, but I figure it's got to be common knowledge. I jut can't find anything on it online.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 9 months ago
pyromaniac4002
More
Capturing areas #8315
Oh, nothing special about it really, just a lot of triggers and trigger zones.

The trigger zones define the actual spot on the map and then you use triggers to detect (in the case of Echo Bay) when all of red coalition is out of the area and blue coalition is in, then it's considered captured. From there there's a couple of other triggers controlling the smoke color and there's a bit of a timer that's set up between a couple of different flag values so you can time out the smoke refreshes (the default smoke lasts 5 minutes once it's placed, can't get rid of it or change color until it's done). Then it's just a matter of setting some triggers for whatever win/loss criteria you have and you can reload the mission or move on to another one.

6 years 9 months ago
Southpaw
More
Topic Author
Capturing areas #8318
Interesting. I figured that was how it was done, just couldn't quite articulate it in my mind. Thanks!

6 years 9 months ago
Southpaw
More
Topic Author
Capturing areas #8319
I'm messing with the editor now. How exactly do you go about making the smoke continuous?

6 years 9 months ago
Cygon_Parrot
More
Capturing areas #8321
In the bog standard ME? I'd do this...

Make a ONCE trigger with action SET FLAG VALUE to 100.

Make a CONTINUOUS trigger with action DECREASES FLAG VALUE by 1.

Make a SWITCHED trigger with condition FLAG EQUALS 0, actions; SET FLAG VALUE to 100 and SMOKE MARKER ON UNIT

Basically, you just have the FLAG working as a countdown timer. When it reaches 0, you reset it to 100, and renew the smoke marker on the unit. Of course, you can do it much prettier with a script, but it works this way, too.

Smoke markers burn for 5 minutes (300 seconds), but the highest value you seem to be able to set in ME for a flag is only 100. So, if you change the color of the smoke, you'll get some smoke overlap for a while.

No doubt TracerFacer has the real lowdown on this, and how to do it better. I'll just take the opportunity to say...

Welcome to the forum! :D

6 years 9 months ago
TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More
Capturing areas #8324
Here is a perfect example :)

I use this because in echo bay, more than just the zone has to be occupied for the triggers to work. Things have to be dead and stuff before the smoke turns green. For a simple version of that, we'll use THE DAM:
www.dropbox.com/s/tqy5mcqs5xvc9ig/F99TH_THE%20DAM3.miz?dl=0

Try not to let the number of triggers overwhelm you. Look at the GREEN C1, ORANGE C1, BLUE C1, RED C1 triggers. These are the triggers for capture zone "C1"

For each zone in that mission, I have a total of 4 possible colors that the zone could be depending on the conditions you see in those triggers. So for each zone, there are 4 triggers.

You also note that each "condition" trigger has a FLAG 99 EQUALS 10. This is the smoke timer cygon was telling you about. I use flag 99. It doesn't matter what flag number you use.

You need the following triggers for the continuous smoke:

This trigger "counts" all the time. Storing that value in flag 99.
CONTINUOUS ACTION
--NAME: TIMER
--CONDITION: (EMPTY)
--ACTION: INCREASE FLAG 99 BY 1

This trigger reset the counter after it reaches 5 mins.
SWITCHED CONDITION
--NAME: TIMER RESET
--CONDITION: FLAG 99 EQUALS 300
--ACTION: SET FLAG 99 TO 0

Now we have a 5 min timer that we can use for things that we need to repeat every 5 mins. For example the smoke.

In all the triggers for zone control and smoke in that mission - it is at the 10 second point - on the 5 min timer that we check the zone status and blow the smoke. The smoke lasts for 5 mins. We only check at the 10 second point. If you try and check every second you will have a NEW smoke every second. We use 5 mins because that is how long the smoke lasts. Since you can't turn it off and must wait for it to end, you will end up with different color smokes on the same spot if less than 5 min timers are used. It doesn't matter what second you pick. 5 mins is 5 mins. I pick 10 cuz that's the default in the editor :)

Fun fact while testing smoke: If you are not in a client slot BEFORE the 10 second mark - and you miss the triggering of the smoke timer - you will not see it until the next 5 min firing. So if the smoke fires, and then someone logs in, they will not see any smoke until the next firing of the trigger.

Feel free to open the mission and see exactly what I did.

6 years 9 months ago
Southpaw
More
Topic Author
Capturing areas #8329
Oh wow, that was a detailed explanation. I appreciate it!

6 years 9 months ago
TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More
Capturing areas #8331
I just realized that cygon uses a counter that counts down, while I use a counter that counts up!

lol

Just goes to show you - there is often more than 1 way to accomplish the same goal. :)

6 years 9 months ago
Southpaw
More
Topic Author
Capturing areas #8333
My skills with the ME are climbing pretty quickly. I've been working on a demo mission for the better part of the day. It's nowhere near 99th quality, but I'm getting there!
I do have one small question. I set a trigger event for AI Mig-21's to scramble. I've had to set their skill to excellent for them to even engage a friendly fighter. Is that normal? I also couldn't get their speed to respond how I liked. I set their inbound speed at 400kts, but they were often in the 180-200 knots range, leaving them quite nose high.

6 years 9 months ago
TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More
Capturing areas #8336
You want them to engage friendly? Lost me on that one.

Check each way point. They can have their own speed and alt. If you set the speed on the first way point first, all other way points will inherit that setting. Forget to do that and you will have to set each one manually.

6 years 9 months ago
Cygon_Parrot
More
Capturing areas #8340

:D It is not the first time we've done that, either, Tracer. Somewhere else on the forum there is something similarly ME related documented where we got the same ends by different means. LOL!

Maybe Southpaw has already discovered the GROUP TRIGGERED ACTIONS tab for each group? It is the tab next to the AMMO tab, looks like one of those new fangled "spinner" thingies, over on the right side pane that displays when you click on a group in ME. I think it is a bit of an overlooked feature, but you can set all sorts of AI parameters and permissions there, for which you can then use standard TRIGGER RULES to activate, with AI TASK PUSH and AI TASK SET.

I use it quite a bit, for things like changing ROE, ALARM STATE, or even wapoints, for groups. Though I cannot make it attack friendly units, it might prove useful for some things in an AI scramble-intercept scenario.

6 years 9 months ago
Southpaw
More
Topic Author
Capturing areas #8349
Sorry Tracer, I meant for for it to read that I'm having trouble getting the red mig to engage blue fighters. It's just a matter of messing with a few options. Cygon, I'll give that shot. I don't know if I've messed with that yet.

6 years 9 months ago
TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More
Capturing areas #8350
The ai is terminally stupid. They don't always do what you want. Or there are game mechanics happening in the background that are not revealed to the player / mission maker. Like if it runs out of fuel and heads home, it won't attack at that point. Even ignoring enemy planes shooting at it. Sometimes all settings will be correct and the ai will still do is own thing because of some condition you can't see. Can be frustrating to test.

6 years 9 months ago
Southpaw
More
Topic Author
Capturing areas #8351
Fair enough. Either way, I'm coming along nicely with my ME skills. I appreciate the help!

6 years 9 months ago
Southpaw
More
Topic Author
Capturing areas #8352
Tracer, one more question. Since I have built the mission involving scripts (MIST/CTLD/CSAR), if I sent it to a friend of mine, could he run it as is, or will there be an issue since the mission is looking for scripts on my system? Or is the LUA script become a part of the mission file?

6 years 9 months ago
TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More
Capturing areas #8353
The .miz file created by the mission editor is actually just a .zip file renamed.. you could open it with the various zip utilities that are out there and browse it's folder structure.

It contains all the assets required to run the mission. You should be fine.

Also, if you have ever connected to another server and played a MP mission - you have the entire mission. The .trk files contain the mission and all the scripts. You could dissect any mission just by opening the .trk file (also a zip).

6 years 9 months ago
Southpaw
More
Topic Author
Capturing areas #8359
oh wow. I did not know that. You guys are awesome. I'll call this the end of my mission editor questions. I know we're getting off topic, a big no-no in the forum world :-D

P.S. The mission last night was phenomenal. It ended up being Echo Bay at night. Most fun I've ever had in DCS.

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds