AIR : LAND : SEA : FIGHT!

Fighting 99th Forum

Arrestor Cable Break

7 years 9 months ago
pyromaniac4002
More
Topic Author
Arrestor Cable Break #628
I'm sure everyone's seen the one where it breaks with the F/A-18 landing and the leet yellow shirt plays a bit of jump rope with it, but I've stumbled across another that's worth a look-see:

When I saw an E-2 come in to frame I was worried, not too keen to see an arresting cable break while arresting an aircraft without ejection seats, but I (and mostly those guys in the E-2) lucked out. I'm sure the guys who got pelted on the deck had a pretty bad day, but nobody died and they made a hell of an upload for Youtube.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 9 months ago
Ktulu2
Premium Member
Premium Member
More
Arrestor Cable Break #4453
Dayum! I guess that's why they say to be on military for carrier landings...

7 years 9 months ago
Vampyre
Administrator
Administrator
More
Arrestor Cable Break #4454
You know, there were five guys in that bird there that had to drop check their drawers when they got back aboard... No ejection seats in the Hawkeye. Eight of the deck crew were hurt in this incident. I've given a lot of flight deck briefs and I always stressed the importance of never turning your back to moving aircraft and staying as far away as possible from the foul line during landing operations. This incident was caused by not following established procedures in the AG cable engine room. one or two missed steps and eight sailors get injured and five aircrew and one aircraft almost lost simply because someone didn't do their job properly. :angry:

7 years 9 months ago
Cygon_Parrot
More
Arrestor Cable Break #4455

Yup, the wisdom of pesky established SOPs are never fully appreciated until the exact situation they were designed for presents itself. It is the same in civil aviation, and when they get skipped through complacency after 99 normal ops... well, the theory of Murphy's Law and all that.

I'd seen this video before, as it was out around the same time as the MiL 24 shoot down video, strangely enough on a British newspaper site (huh?). It had the same "pucker" effect for me then watching that Hawkeye going over the edge. Turbo-props tend to be a little bit more immune to spool up delay, as their idles are already pretty high and thrust changes are achieved to a larger extent by prop pitch changes rather than massive rpm changes, but it is nonetheless still present, as having checked it is indeed a single shaft turboprop on the E2.

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds