AH-1 Cobra

7 years 11 months ago
Vampyre
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
AH-1 Cobra #556
Video of a Turk AH-1W shot down by the PKK.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 11 months ago
G-Man
Elite Member
Elite Member
More
AH-1 Cobra #3954
Wow! Not a single snack bar...poor pilots.

7 years 11 months ago
Sweeper
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
More
AH-1 Cobra #3955
RIP...

7 years 11 months ago
Cygon_Parrot
More
AH-1 Cobra #3956
Sounds coarse and unsentimental, but they were out to do their own bit of distributing carnage in that helicopter, too. That would have been the hard logic of a war veteran I grew up in the shadow of.

Here's another Cobra having some success...

But for a whisker, it looked like that SAM nearly struck the embankment, and it would have been another story.

7 years 11 months ago
Vampyre
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
AH-1 Cobra #3965

That is very true and I, for one, am perfectly happy sitting back and watching them kill each other over there if it is what they want to do. The Turk's are our allies in the same vein as the Paki's.... when it suits them. The Turk's only have less than 8 operational AH-1W Cobras so this was a pretty significant blow with the downing of this one helicopter. They do have plenty of AH-1F's even though they are a bit less capable they can still be effective against PKK forces.

Oh, and the reason for no one yelling for the snackbar is that the PKK fighters are actual combat hardened fighters, not some dumb ass religious zealots like the Daesh.

7 years 11 months ago
Eightbit
Premium Member
Premium Member
More
AH-1 Cobra #3966
the scary thought is where they got their hands on manpads. As far as I know, the US and Russia do not distribute them to forces like these for fear of them being used against their own forces.

7 years 11 months ago
runny
More
AH-1 Cobra #3967
I don't know about Russia but the US has been in the business of arming whichever group is on 'their side' for a very long time now. The most recent would be the Syrian rebels, many of whom are now better known as ISIS.

This was an Igla though, most likely not supplied by a western country. But what about the cobra?

Sure the cobra was probably sold under a bunch of stipulations over what it can be used for, that's what Canada does when we sell IFVs to other nations, but seriously... that's a joke.

7 years 11 months ago
Vampyre
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
AH-1 Cobra #3968

I imagine that quite a few Igla's made it into the hands of the PKK after the recent Su-24M shootdown. As far as the Cobra and stipulations are concerned, the US knew full well they were going to be used against the PKK forces... The PKK were communist fighters for a good long while and have dropped that ideology within the last decade or so. We knew the Turk's were going to use them against the Kurds.

7 years 9 months ago
Vampyre
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
AH-1 Cobra #4405
Red Bull AH-1F Cobra display

7 years 9 months ago
pyromaniac4002
More
AH-1 Cobra #4411
Single engine Cobras always remind me of:

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds