TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
I'll have HAM with that.. #617
Looky at my new super nerdy toy..
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 9 months ago
Cygon_Parrot
More
I'll have HAM with that.. #4379
Cool!

I didn't know you were into this. I scratch build my own amateur regens and some other circuits to do SW DX'ing, but it is only for listening as I have no ham license. Had a brief TS chat about it with Arctic some time back, as he does (or did) it too.

It is quite a fun way to get through some time.

Show us your antenna, please!

EDIT:

Here's a video off an old Youtube channel of mine. It is the only video I ever made of my experiments. This one's a crystal radio prototype for AM, mainly to test my home-built variable air capacitor, which worked pretty good.

7 years 9 months ago
TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
I'll have HAM with that.. #4392
KE5VXX is my call sign. Only a Tech. But with this new radio, I'm inspired to go get my general. Not a big talker anyway, so no biggie.

Building this rig to be portable. I want to be able to operate 24/7 off of battery/solar power solution that I'm still working on. For now, I just have the radio connected to a simple 20 meter dipole (all I could afford after the radio!).

The Antenna is mounted on an old pool extension pole which I then bungy to the trashcan. Goes up and down quickly. I bought a nice telescoping tripod which should be here in week and will eliminate my red neck setup. I will eventually put a larger multi-band antenna up in the attic. I want it to be stealthy. I don't have any deed restrictions, I just don't want the average joe to know there is a radio in the house.

Attachments:

7 years 9 months ago
Ktulu2
Premium Member
Premium Member
More
I'll have HAM with that.. #4393
Don't have the time to watch the video right now, but I've always wondered how do you select the frequency? A simple combination of Low-pass and High-pass filters? Or fancier stuff?

7 years 9 months ago
Cygon_Parrot
More
I'll have HAM with that.. #4402
That antenna will do the trick, for sure. It's often forgotten how important they are, it is a whole science with DX'ing, as you'll know, lol! It is an awesome setup, iCom is a great company. I have (and have had for years) an airband transceiver by them that I used to use to listen to students on their solos. Still works a treat, like new.

I haven't done any HF scanning since I moved house, so I haven't set up my antenna where I am now. My "standard" one was simple but effective, just a long wire type, three different lengths of solid sheathed 10 AWG copper wire parallel to each other with a selector. I'd experimented with an active antenna at one point, but after a while the only JFET I had found in Ecuador blew, lol! I also played around with a tuned loop, and was trying to make a circuit that could do some DF on AM stations using it. Fun time, but not too much success.

I'll have to set myself up again with my best HF receiver concoction and arrange to see if I can hear you, some time! :P Should be fun. Taken note of your call-sign!

Ktulu2;

Don't know if you were asking me, but here goes. (I'm a bit rusty with the terminology and formulae at the moment, and am writing this as a brief outline off the top of my head, so anyone who can correct any errors if they see them, please do so).

Where capacitors can be used as filters, then yes, you are on the right track. At the most basic level, like that AM crystal radio in the video, it is actually much simpler than you think. Put simply, the first key points of a receiver are;

Resonance. Rectification. Capacitance. (Among some others that would only complicate the simple description here).

When radio waves hit your antenna, they create a small alternating current in it. You create a coil that resonates more or less at the frequency of the radio wave range you want to tune, and feed the AC signal from your antenna into it. Once you get your coil resonating, you can use capacitors to "fine tune" to the exact frequency (resonance) you want by slightly altering the capacitance of the coil circuit. That is where the variable air capacitor comes in, as it is proportional and allows minuscule "tweaking" of the coil, allowing you to shift through a range of frequencies that the coil is capable of "receiving". Finally, the output AC signal must be rectified to DC with a diode (or transistor) or you'll only hear white noise, if that, when you plug in the listening device. Once you have cleared out the reverse current, you'll hear the transmitted signal. It is a cool moment when some TRF experiment or another works.

Transmission is not so much more complicated once you have got this far, in fact, but it is largely illegal to play with if you don't have a license. In any case, you'd need an oscillator IC. Easy enough to get.

Hope that's what you wanted to know. If not, I've just bored everyone again. LOL!

7 years 9 months ago
Ktulu2
Premium Member
Premium Member
More
I'll have HAM with that.. #4403
Dead on!
In my electronic class we didn't do RLC circuits, which turn out to be quite important lol.

7 years 9 months ago
Cygon_Parrot
More
I'll have HAM with that.. #4406
Huh! Glad it helped! Some time I might even have a refresher question or two for you, as your taking of the course is certainly much more recent than mine, lol!

Incidentally, that home brew air variable capacitor is a bit miraculous, as it was made from a piece of galvanized sheet mild steel, a wholly inappropriate material for RF. All I had at that moment. I have a nice piece of duralumin now, which I will use to make another one before I take up this hobby again. Just need to locate some long, aluminum or brass nuts, bolts and washers to eliminate all ferrous influences and do a really good fidelity bit of kit.

7 years 9 months ago
TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
I'll have HAM with that.. #4407
Bought a uhf/vhf antenna today to mount on to my little portable setup..

After all the running around today, another 180 in parts and cable... Had both radios going at once!

Until the wind picked up and folded my antenna support pole in half! Thankfully didn't damage any of the antennas. Just the pole. But I'm off the air again until I get my new tripod in.

7 years 9 months ago
Squid
Administrator
Administrator
More
I'll have HAM with that.. #4408
How much did it cost you to get the HAM license? I have had a scanner for ages, but no transmit. I'll figure out the actual radio once I figure out which repeaters are available around my area, long range is definitely a goal for the future, but being in the valley may make it tough.

7 years 9 months ago
Cygon_Parrot
More
I'll have HAM with that.. #4409
LOL! Just looking at this thread again and laughing. There's Tracer's totally awesome iCom in post one and the still of my jumble of wires, a mysterious looking artifact and PVC plumbing pipe in the second. It strikes me that the comment is the same for each image, except for punctuation and emphasis...

"THAT'S a radio!!"

"That's a radio??"

Squid, part of your question; for long range HF DX I don't think the valley will be a major issue unless you live in a deep, narrow crevice. I'm in a valley, too, surrounded in all quarters by 15 to 20 thousand foot high mountains within 10 to 15 miles. I used to pick up WRMI, Cuba and Vietnam no problem on my regens. Just get or make a well thought out antenna (can't get tired of saying that, lol!). HF is not line of sight, and you would be listening to a source SW station, not repeaters. Unless you mean VHF/UHF only, but that's another story :)

PS: Tracer, have you ever looked into this DRM thing? I sometimes used to pick up data transmissions on two frequencies right next to each other and suspected these were DRM channels, but lack the know how to decode it, if it is.

7 years 9 months ago
TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
I'll have HAM with that.. #4410
Cost of the license: 10.00 :cheer:
Cost of the Radio: 1500.00 :angry:

Of course you could get cheaper options. I just went full retard is all. You could even build your own with a bit of reading and some solder.

The first level license limits you to mostly VHF/UHF freqs, local stuff, Those radios are much cheaper. Handheld (HT) for 30.00 and a mobile/base for 150.00ish on the cheap side of things.

Even with that little antenna I've made and only a few feet off the ground, I'm hearing contacts all over the country, all the way down to the Grand Kayman Island's. Because the way the radio waves are bouncing, I can't hear anyone around me. Heard a guy last night in IL talking to someone in plano, TX - but I could not hear the guy in plano.. where I am.

Now I'm looking at a more permanent antenna to fix on/in/around the house. Lots of options as I have no deed restrictions. Though I do want it to be stealthy just so people don't know I have a radio. I'm a bit concerned about weather/lighting/grounding etc. More reading to be done.

Cygon: No on the DRM thing. I'm n00b. First I've heard of it. A form of PSK or CTTY?

7 years 9 months ago
Cygon_Parrot
More
I'll have HAM with that.. #4412

LOL! N00b myself, hence the use of the word "amateur" in the first post. I've never heard of CTTY, whatever it is.

No, it is some data transmission, a bit like a slow fax sound. I've heard it spread out at points across the HF band, in pairs, always seems to be 5 Khz apart. I assume it is a channel, because of this. I was curious and read up some time ago, and DRM seemed to fit. From what I remember, it is a way of producing high quality audio off HF by processing the data through a computer, though whether it is as simple as plugging it into the audio jack (after correct impedance matching, of course!) and having the software to decode it, I don't know. In any case, I'd need to make two identical receivers to tune both frequencies together. Seems like too much hassle, but I'll read up on it again.

7 years 9 months ago
TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
I'll have HAM with that.. #4413
Ha!! that was a typo. Meant RTTY, sorry. CTTY is a computer thing. :)

Much like PSK31. Just a way to modulate data over the radio. Text typing, etc.

7 years 9 months ago
Narokuu
More
I'll have HAM with that.. #4416
Radios are always awesome, and that one looks like a doozy.

I have a portable one that i can program frequency's into , i just use it for local fire / EMS / Police radio traffic in my area

7 years 9 months ago
TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
I'll have HAM with that.. #4420
Yep, those baofangs are cheap rugged little radios. I have 8 of them. All configured the same so I can hand them out in an emergency.

7 years 9 months ago
Narokuu
More
I'll have HAM with that.. #4423
That is a smart idea. and yes these little guys are pretty solid for a cheap price.

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds