Largest tail dragger ever?

8 years 1 week ago
TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
Largest tail dragger ever? #528
Cygon in his Airduster (an airbus had babbies with a crop duster)

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 1 week ago
Cygon_Parrot
More
Largest tail dragger ever? #3795
:side: :silly: :blink:

ROFL! That's one hell of a Pawnee Brave! I was hoping runny might help get me a job crop dusting in Alberta, but I cant get away from the 'Bus, it seems. LOL!

And...

Here's what you need , Tracer, to dispel the vpilot shakes! Have fun....

8 years 1 week ago
runny
More
Largest tail dragger ever? #3796
Crop dusting is alive and well here. It's like $90 / acre last I checked to get a spay plane in.

8 years 6 days ago
Cygon_Parrot
More
Largest tail dragger ever? #3801

Wow! Sounds kind of expensive from the farmer's point of view. How big is the farm? 2,000-ish?

8 years 6 days ago
Alphaskoom
More
Largest tail dragger ever? #3802
sounds expensive but from a farmers perspective, a whole field sprayed for a couple of hundred dollars is money well invested in his crops

8 years 6 days ago
Cygon_Parrot
More
Largest tail dragger ever? #3803
I suppose that's true.

It's a different economy here where I am. Last I seem to remember it cost around 10 USD per acre on the banana and palm heart plantations. That was several years ago, and the info from the Director of Ops of a spraying company down in the Guayaquil area (at a time when I was very curious about the topic). I am not at all sure now if he said that was the fee to the customer, the operation cost, or whether that's what the pilots were paid, but I think it was the former, and pretty sure it wasn't the last. However, they are enormous plantations for world export of the crop and require a great deal of attention, so at a guess I can only imagine potential for dispersing operating costs on a fixed and regular job, in a practically year round effort as there are no real "seasons" here, is good. They operated the Turbo Thrush and turbo conversions of the Ag Cat.

Yep, that kind of defines the old phrase "Banana Republic". LOL!

Hence my surprise. I do not know enough about the intricacies of the economics of such an operation for any more comment, really.

8 years 6 days ago
runny
More
Largest tail dragger ever? #3806

Typo lol. I meant $9 / acre which is already expensive, about 1400 for a quarter section (0.5 miles square)

It's expensive but to hire someone in a high-clearance sprayer is about the same AFAIK. We have our own sprayer but when the crop is tall you're sometimes better off getting a plane in instead of driving all over it.

We're farming about 3900 acres but some of that is custom work or rented land.

7 years 11 months ago
Cygon_Parrot
More
Largest tail dragger ever? #3913
Just to wrap up the crop spraying theme before I depress myself, lol!

Was going to put it in the "Just a good video" thread, but it is better placed here. The song is dead simple, apparently in the key of D, and I think I nailed it with a Em, G, D and A progression (unless my musical ear is going up the spout now, too). Simple but effective!

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds