AIR : LAND : SEA : FIGHT!

Fighting 99th Forum

Looking for Advice

6 years 6 months ago
Alphaskoom
More
Topic Author
Looking for Advice #9034
Over the past few years ive been going through Air Traffic Control school, worked as a remote pilot operator ( computer based simulation for ATC students ) for a year, and finally ATC student for a few months.. with that not ending how i planned im back to square one. I'm at a very large crossroads right now being without a job or direction, still waiting on information back from companies for aircraft dispatch positions. i feel as though i don't have the drive for becoming a dispatcher as i did with ATC and now I've been considering chasing my original dream of a pilot. I'm assuming once reaching CFI levels would be the level of making money back from the investment am i right? I'd first have to get private pilot, then instrument, multi engine maybe, complex certification. at this point im looking at somewhere around what? $20 - 30,000 or so investment? Moving far away isnt a preferred option, my whole family is here in DFW but i do know theres quite a few flight schools around here offering private for between 7,500-11,000 dollars.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 6 months ago
Vampyre
Administrator
Administrator
More
Looking for Advice #9035
Can you make the financials work? Pilots do not get paid that much to start out so you will need at least one other job when starting out if you don't have another form of revenue to draw from. CFI/CFII is where you are going to accrue your flight hours from for a better paying job in the future.

6 years 6 months ago
Alphaskoom
More
Topic Author
Looking for Advice #9036
i honestly don't know, i probably could get a family loan, but that would be looming over my head for a few years. That is something id have to discuss with them on that, but it would be something id want to get more concrete choices on before bringing it up in detail. I might be able to test out of some of the ground ops teaching considering my current knowledge of aviation in general to possibly reduce costs, but that would have to be discussed with whatever school i consider. Some of the schools in the area offer accelerated 2 week to private pilot and additional 2 weeks for instrument. something else one of them offers is CFI-Sport with an hourly requirement of 150 hours and only requiring a sport or private pilot license. thats only $2,500. so i could do that to help pay for instrument

6 years 6 months ago
Vampyre
Administrator
Administrator
More
Looking for Advice #9037
Getting stuck in a job that you have no passion for sucks on many levels and if you feel the dispatcher job is not going to work for you then don't do it... unless you could use it to get that CFI/CFII ticket. Having the school background that you do should make the pilot route somewhat easier for you than the average joe just starting out. You already know what to expect in that sense.

6 years 6 months ago
Cooper
Premium Member
Premium Member
More
Looking for Advice #9038
I'm 51 years old and disabled from Muscular Dystrophy. I followed my dreams and had an amazing career until I could no longer. l never made a lot of money, but wouldn't change a moment of it. You will very seldom regret the things you did, but always regret the things you didn't do. Money is always an important issue, but it always comes and goes. Setting your self up for a life you will enjoy and find satisfing is a one shot deal. Trying and succeeding or failing is aways better than not shooting for the moon.

Work out the math and follow your dream. You will have no regrets if you end up like me.

6 years 6 months ago
Narokuu
More
Looking for Advice #9046
Alpha, just ask yourself what you really want to do, something that you will want to get out of bed and do, no matter the income. Cooper and Vamp are correct, set yourself up for being happy. the fact that you have family support with you is amazing, and if they are willing to help, do your best. im now 30, and JUST started working my dream job 2 weeks ago. i don't get paid much right now, but there is room to advance and i want to go to work everyday, and that beats any paycheck in my opinion.

6 years 6 months ago
Zulu
More
Looking for Advice #9047
I couldn't quite figure out why Air Traffic Control didn't work out. IF you still have any passion or desire to follow that path, I would consider working overseas (Germany for example, has serious shortages of qualified personnel). The benefits of having an "Ex-Pat" status are financially motivating. Getting off the continent, seeing and doing other doing things, meeting other people is great for personal growth too.

Good luck!

6 years 6 months ago
TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More
Looking for Advice #9048
I would seriously consider what these gents have offered in the way of advice. Drop the stipulation that you need to be close to home and your opportunities can open up. Unless there is some medical or financial reason you need to be close to family? You're young, you have no wife and kids (as far as I know) holding you down to a place or job. Now is the time to go places and do things if the means are there.

Joined the Navy at 17 to turn wrenches on planes. When I got sick of that, I made plans to change careers and now I'm in IT working for a global company. It didn't happen overnight, and there were some failures / set backs along the way. I didn't get to where I wanted in the time I wanted to get there, but I did get there and I'm very happy that I stuck it out.

If Russ read these forums, I think he would say the same thing. He went from Police Officer to Airline Pilot and now is looking at changing careers yet again.

If ATC is your passion, then don't give up. Even if you have to do something you don't like for a time, while you prepare for the future. Stepping stones.

6 years 6 months ago
Brady
More
Looking for Advice #9049
My advice to you will be short and sweet. Look out for #1. If you only have family around, with no kids or wife... Do whatever it takes to make this life worth while. Family is important, for sure. But, the thought of having your family think highly of you for doing whatever it takes to educate yourself so that you can have 40 happy years of a career you love. That is enough. That is the thought that kept me going when traveling around the country and working to meet my dreams. Get yours.

As far as a career in Aviation goes... I can only speak to the projects I've been looking at for myself as far as Aeronautical Science. (Still a work in progress) I've been working on my PPL here at my local airport: Local VFRMAP
It's pretty cheap here... All in all it will cost around $6000. I'm doing all the school work over this winter, with my practical flying next spring when the air is mellow. Then, get a tail-dragger cert. But, I have a friend with a bush plane, so that's no problem. Fortunate though, for sure... I've really been looking at a local college for Aviation as a career. We have a really good program out of Billings, Mt. RMC Aviation A couple friends of mine have gone through the program and one now flys for Southwest Airlines... The other is a paraglider instructor now, but he has great things to say about the school. As far as living here goes. It's cheap. There's no crime. I bartend to pay for my PPL. College can be done with the help of a Pell Grant and in state tuition, out of state isn't too bad either though.

These are my thoughts on your situation. I hope they help man, I really do.

6 years 6 months ago
Fencer
Premium Member
Premium Member
More
Looking for Advice #9058
I finished school 4 years ago (was after the mandatory part) and took another, more practically oriented school regarding IT. Afterwards I found myself unable to find an apprenticeship (because hey, why take new guys when somebody with years of experience signs up too) and felt similar. I ended up applying to university, not because I always wanted to but because it was an opportunity given to me - even if I hated it, its better than doing nothing at all.

It turned out to be the best decision I could make. After a couple semesters I realised another university would've been a better choice - tell you the truth, only reason I applied to the one I currently study at is because it is in the nearest bigger city. If I had moved away from my family I would've found a much more pleasent place to study at. What I'm trying to say is: No matter how much you love your family, don't let the thought of having to seperate ways from them impact your choice in what is best for you. Yes, its hard, but in the end, you and only YOU decide what is going to be best for you, even if it means leaving those you love most.

TL;DR: Even if you have to leave your family, it doesn't mean you stop being part of it. Go out there and seek what makes you happy.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds