AIR : LAND : SEA : FIGHT!

Fighting 99th Forum

General mission building questions

7 years 3 months ago
Kraut
More
Topic Author
General mission building questions #6281
Hi guys, I thought I might ask you guys here and start a new discussion.
So every basic question or mission building question might come here and there from guys like me.
Maybe some have the same issues, who knows.

Ok let me post my first question.

I planned on building a basic training mission that is populated well and the flights at Nellis would take off and land at a constant natural manner.
So I thought I fill the Airfield with flights all over the place and set multiple start times for the units. Therefore you gain some randomnes, at least felt rendom behavior of the planes stationed there.
Not I know that you can change the activation time of a unit, but I would like to see the unit, planes or even vehicles, already at thier startingpoint before they are activated.
A few years ago hen I planned mission there was such an option available.
Does anybody have an idea for making the units visible before activation ?

Hope some solutions are known

cheers
F99th_33rd_dirty_Kraut

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 3 months ago
TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More
General mission building questions #6282
You can try turning their AI off after they spawn in. Tedious for sure. There is a script floating around out there that will do some of this work for you. Perhaps the tanker respawn script.

Honestly, the time and effort you will put into making all of these non mission related aircraft work would be better spent on the actual mission goals. While the ambiance of having random a/c fly around is desirable, you will pull your hair out trying to get it to work.

My advice: forget random traffic. Focus on the mission specific goals. You'll save a lot of time and headache.

7 years 3 months ago
Squid
Administrator
Administrator
More
General mission building questions #6283
To accentuate Tracer's point, There used to be a problem with a large number of spawned units causing issues. Especially for clients with lower-end pc's. Focusing on mission goals will keep the resources where they count!

A nice way to add flair to a mission would be to have "side missions" pop up every once and a while for specific platforms. A bomber intercept. A strike on a specific target (with targeting information for nav computers/viggen computers). Some of our current missions have that, and one of my favorite older missions (phantom scythe or red arrow) had pop-up messages with side missions and rewards for completing them. Adding a target into my A10 computer, navigating there and finding a way to strike a target can be a lot of fun. Some side missions even used the built in JTAC, which was kind of neat. I think if I script anything for DCS it will be a better JTAC.

7 years 3 months ago
NickJZX100
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
More
General mission building questions #6284
There's a specific script that is meant to do this exact thing albeit having it show up as uncontrolled in game and then go controlled I don't think is included. Maybe you could have it uncontrolled at start, with a trigger you could deactivate it and activate a live unit? As far as practice missions go I like having airfields with activity and the added challenges of air traffic albeit kinda predictable. If you're interested I can give you the mission gman and I practice with. Edit: I think you may have PM'd me about skins however it's not showing up in my inbox

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds