BST F-4E Phantom II

Chit Chat
Vampyre
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
United States of America

Re: BST F-4E Phantom II

Post by Vampyre » 07 Aug 2017, 23:57

As I understand it, you have to set up the switcholigy to fire the AGM-45 Shrike and then turn the aircraft using the ADI to line up the shot. When the ADI reaches zero you are lined up and can take the shot. No range information is given though only azimuth (Wild Weasel capability the F-4E doesn't have) so you have to know exactly how far the SAM site is from your aircraft for the missile to reach it's target. Usually the SAM's will be firing at you before you are in range so you should know exactly where they are. I believe there are two modes used to fire the Shrike, Direct fire and Loft. Loft will give you a little more range but it is still not very good.
pyromaniac4002 wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 15:54
But as far as what the F-4E really excels at, I'm guessing we'll be using it for a lot of Maverick slinging and I also read that it could carry the GBU-15 which I hope they'll include, so it sounds to me like mostly it will be a strike platform with some fairly decent PGM capability. And a Fishbed-killer.
That is exactly what it is. GBU-15, Pave Tack + LGB's, Mavericks and Iron Bombs/CBU's. The DMAS upgrade added a primitive CCIP mode to the gunsight which will help a lot with bombing... vice the manual mode the F-5E has currently (F-4E also has manual mode as a backup on the gunsight). I'd expect the F-4E to hold its own against a Flogger as well.

Cygon_Parrot
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ecuador

Post by Cygon_Parrot » 08 Aug 2017, 07:07

Vampyre wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 23:57
Pave Tack + LGB's
I might be totally wrong, but was it the Pave Knife they used on the Paul Doumer Bridge attack? Would be nice to have the option to using that rather archaic system, too, I think. :D

I'll be looking that up real quick, now, to refresh my memory.

PS: Plus, I think that very mission is in CMANO, which I'll have a look at tomorrow. Just got back home and it is too late now, for all that.

Vampyre
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
United States of America

Post by Vampyre » 08 Aug 2017, 10:48

The DMAS ARN-101 birds had PAVE Spike and PAVE Knife capability removed to be able to use the PAVE Tack. The Vanilla F-4E's still in service at the same time as the DMAS ARN-101 jets maintained PAVE Spike capability until their removal from service in 1993.