TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
Mission Builders Workshop : The Basics #7973
Mission Builders Workshop 1 : The Basics

REGISTER HERE FOR THIS WORKSHOP

Objective: Completion of this course will give the student a template mission to be used in future missions.
Audience: Anyone interested in making missions. With a focus on MP missions like those found here on The Fighting 99th.
Topics to be demonstrated:

1) Mission Editor Basics
a. Brief Overview of each major section of the ME.
b. Trigger Zones & Triggers – What are they? How to use them?
c. Static vs Fortification
d. Naming Conventions – Group Name vs Pilot Name.
e. Flags
2) Scripting
a. MIST
b. CTLD
c. AFAC
d. Auto Respawn
e. Dynamic Unit Creation On Demand
f. Flak
3) Design Considerations (my personal thoughts)
a. Mission Objectives
b. Flight Times
c. MP Mission Performance

Demonstration will be performed by TracerFacer through a TeamViewer Meeting Conference. All students must have TeamViewer Installed prior to this course.

www.teamviewer.com/en/

Meeting Number will be given out at the start of the course. Be in TeamSpeak and ready to go at the start time. If you need help getting TeamViewer setup let me know.

Recommend students with two monitors repeat my clicks in their ME’s in real time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 10 months ago
Zulu
More
Mission Builders Workshop : The Basics #7978
I'm doomed.
You lost me already with team viewer! It looks a bit pricey too, or I am looking at the wrong version? Does one have to have a licence to run it?

6 years 10 months ago
pyromaniac4002
More
Mission Builders Workshop : The Basics #7980
There's a free version.

6 years 10 months ago
Korstat
More
Mission Builders Workshop : The Basics #7986
The time for this says 2000-2100 what time zone?

6 years 10 months ago
TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
Mission Builders Workshop : The Basics #7987
"EVENT TIME IS 2000 CST"

right in the description of the event. :)

6 years 10 months ago
TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
Mission Builders Workshop : The Basics #7999
Thanks to those who showed. I even learned a few new things myself! Overall pretty successful online meeting!

If you all thought that was worth your time and would like to do it again / and or take it a bit deeper let me know.

6 years 10 months ago
Zulu
More
Mission Builders Workshop : The Basics #8002
I had obligatory commits yesterday evening.
If you could hold a second one, during the week that would be great.

Lastly, I noticed there were several other missions on the 2.0 server, but I've never seen them up. Do they need to be updated or what?

6 years 10 months ago
JINX
Elite Member
Elite Member
More
Mission Builders Workshop : The Basics #8004

1000%: That being said I personally am on board to learn as much as I can. So thank you Tracer for taking time to do this, it is much appreciated.

6 years 10 months ago
pyromaniac4002
More
Mission Builders Workshop : The Basics #8006
I'd like to delve deeper in to the scripting side of things personally. In my experience so far triggers have seemed pretty clumsy and like you're just making a lot more work for yourself. Even though I'd estimate myself at a "mentally challenged" level of coding ability, I feel like some practice there could work with the handful of C/C++/Python classes I took over the years and become a much more viable way to create a functionally-solid and entertaining mission..

Is that a possibility you think? Or maybe shadow would be willing to lend more of his sagely scripting experience to such a scripting-focused session?

6 years 10 months ago
TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
Mission Builders Workshop : The Basics #8008
For the most part.. the custom scripting that I have done is pretty simple. Score counting / display, or counting the number of blue/red units in a zone to display to the players.. etc...some of my code snippets/ideas actually made it into the CTLD script around counting cargo in a zone. You have to dig into the CTLD script to find these functions but they are there and usable.

Creating lots of triggers can be tedious for sure. But they do work, and anyone can understand them. If you have a method to your madness when creating / cloning triggers, it's not that bad really.

I've started looking into MOOSE and I think this is more along the lines of what you were thinking Pyro.
flightcontrol-master.github.io/MOOSE/

Much more complicated and if you've never done any coding, probably a steep learning curve. But probably a lot more powerful. And probably not something we could cover in an hour :)

6 years 10 months ago
pyromaniac4002
More
Mission Builders Workshop : The Basics #8010
Oh yeah, I've looked at MOOSE and my eyes glazed over within about 12 minutes. I'm thinking more along the lines of simple Lua scripting and how you can use them to augment the triggers and maybe make it less reliant on them. Anything to avoid having to work through a list of 200 triggers.

6 years 10 months ago
TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
Mission Builders Workshop : The Basics #8012
If the moose docs seemed overwhelming, the DCS wiki will have a similar effect on you.

Lua Triggering
en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Simulator_Scriptin....2.1/Part_1#triggerh

That is a gap not easily bridged. A trigger is either in the ME or it's in a LUA script. If its' in the ME, setting the conditions are MUCH easier.. especially if you have multiple conditions that must be met. I have some triggers that look like:

CONDITION
Unit 1 In zone
Unit 1 above alt
Unit 1 below speed
OR
Unit 2 In zone
Unit 2 above alt
Unit 2 below speed
OR
Unit 3 In zone
Unit 3 above alt
Unit 3 below speed

That would be a crazy trigger to type out in lua. There are 6 ANDs and 2 ORs there. for 1 trigger. You have to consider that the unit names that you add to triggers are selectable from dropdowns in the ME.. if you were writing every trigger by hand, the opportunity to fat finger and misspell something is at every keystroke. You will spend more time debugging then editing/creating.

It's easy to read and understand in the ME for the average person. A quick clone of the trigger, and a few changes and you move on to the next one.

I feel odd defending the kludgey ME, lol, but it is very simple. That simplicity gives the mission designer more time to make his mission, instead of spending time learning LUA programing. Even if you were an excellent LUA developer. I bet someone proficient in the ME could make that trigger quicker than the guy writing it out in code.

Could the guy writing it out in code do more interesting things with it? Probably. BlueFlag comes to mind. Shadough's Racing server also comes to mind. His missions are almost fully LUA based.

I think it comes down to using the right tool for the job at hand. If it can be kept simple, keep it simple and the ME is about as simple as you can get. It's like a swiss army knife of tools. All the tools kinda suck individually, but together you can make something useful out of it.

Moose has some very interesting features... imagine a scoring system that can keep track of who killed specially designated targets. The output of that scoring system is dumped into a csv file which can later be displayed on webpages or converted into database data that an be queried. Imagine the helo pilots having a 'score' where you can see that individual's contribution to the mission progress..instead of just the "kill" count on the DCS scoreboard, Moose provides a scoring framework where you can develope your own score system that all players can take part in..but like you said.. it can be overwhelming to try and learn if you don't have a LUA programing background.

6 years 9 months ago
Ultraking
More
Mission Builders Workshop : The Basics #8358
If you ever do this again I would be interested. Seems like it would be really helpful to learn.

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds