2.1 BANE OF MY EXISTENCE

Chit Chat
Davison
Captain
Captain
United States of America

Re: 2.1 BANE OF MY EXISTENCE

Post by Davison » 15 Jul 2017, 03:41

they did something with the graphics and shaders in 2.1 that screwed with everything, even my WWII skins that i updated for 2.0 are washed out and they dont reflect properly anymore, ill have to see if i can find screenshots of the screwed up reflections/shading on the "bare" metal skins i use.

runny
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada

Post by runny » 15 Jul 2017, 05:42

Just to touch on the OC subject, don't OC your laptop. Laptops simply don't have the cooling system to keep chips cool, most of them are smoking hot already at stock settings when you play games on them. So even if you got a nice stable OC going, it's highly improbable that your laptop would dissipate that heat and it would either throttle (lower its power automatically and slow to worse-than-before speeds) or BSOD, or just completely fry.

Fun fact, a cooler is so important for a CPU that if you turned on your PC with no cooling whatsoever, it'd fry before the screen even flickered. That's just what happens when you're running that much juice through microscopic circuits.

Anyway, for a desktop that had unlocked multipliers and if more CPU speed would actually be beneficial to the particular system, I'd say go for it. It's not that difficult and the chances of breaking things is pretty slim. There's plenty of resources to explain how to do it and why you're doing this or that.

I've had my old CPU at a pretty high oc since BF3 came out and it really makes it twice the chip it is stock. I used the "push it till BSOD and then back it off a bit" method but there are safer ways to do it. Most of the time you can find charts showing different OC settings for your particular chip that enthusiasts have cons up with. As long as your cooling isn't complete shit, you can simply apply a OC and monitor your temps while running a stress test.
If your temps are getting too high for your taste or things start getting wonky simply dial it back and find a nice balance between speed and stability. Depending on the chip you can really amp them up before even worrying about stability, allowing for a substantial perf boost without pushing the envelope whatsoever.
Even in my own OC I pulled it pretty far back from where it crapped itself. (Stock was 3.8, max was 5.8, I'm running 4.5).

Moose
Captain
Captain
United States of America

Post by Moose » 15 Jul 2017, 07:46

Thanks for the cautions Runny. I decided not to overclock for that very reason.

Fencer
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Germany

Post by Fencer » 15 Jul 2017, 14:20

runny wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 05:42

Fun fact, a cooler is so important for a CPU that if you turned on your PC with no cooling whatsoever, it'd fry before the screen even flickered. That's just what happens when you're running that much juice through microscopic circuits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrEaAMt9SnA
Good old times