2.1 BANE OF MY EXISTENCE

Chit Chat
Moose
Captain
Captain
United States of America

2.1 BANE OF MY EXISTENCE

Post by Moose » 28 May 2017, 16:25

I have played with the settings so much i gave up. Seems turning Deferred shading off (which makes terrain look gross) is the only thing that will salvage the once BEAUTIFUL cockpit textures.

The following are captures (SAME ACRFT, SAME TIME, SAME SERVER) First deferred shading off... then on. Other settings adjusted make no notable change to the situation.

Does anything jump out at y'all that i should alter?

Moose
Captain
Captain
United States of America

Re: 2.1 BANE OF MY EXISTENCE

Post by Moose » 28 May 2017, 16:30

My setup:

MSI GT72S 6QF
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
i7-6820HK CPU @ 2.70GHz
32Gb Ram

pyromaniac4002
Colonel
Colonel
United States of America

Post by pyromaniac4002 » 28 May 2017, 17:18

The only thing that really jumps out at me is how there's an i7 running at so low a clock speed, but I'm sure that has nothing to do with the issue at hand..

But while we're on that subject.. Is it overclockable or does the "H" in front of the "K" make it mean something other than "unlocked multiplier?"

As far as the actual picture goes I don't know if I'm seeing what's so off. Are you saying it's too bright? It didn't strike me as being terribly implausible, I thought it was probably more accurate to what you might see in real life. With all the light that would be bouncing off the pilot and the rest of the cockpit or even just from the open sky above, the deferred shading pictures look more convincing to my eye.

TracerFacer
Colonel
Colonel
United States of America

Post by TracerFacer » 28 May 2017, 17:24

Yeah, now that I see what your talking about, I don't understand what the problem is. Mine was off, gonna play with it on to see if it's any diff.

Cygon_Parrot
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ecuador

Post by Cygon_Parrot » 29 May 2017, 00:41

Having the same issue. Yesterday after the initial update, everything was fine, with the shading on. Now, I just fired up DCS and it is all washed out and over-exposed looking, like those shots on this thread. I don't get it.

ED? What'ya doing (again)?

Moose
Captain
Captain
United States of America

Post by Moose » 29 May 2017, 01:30

It's shameful to say, but as far as overclocking or what my rig is capable of... I have no clue. I'm fairly fresh in the PC realm. Should I look into getting that done?

The problem is maybe hard to make out on those photos, but Just some of the most noticeable were as follows.

A-10:
Panel under left MFD is a complete different color than cockpit.
Text on all panels almost unreadable unless zoomed in.
Shadows on floorboard near pedals looks light brown.
MFD's, RWR, and CMS all just look absolutely terrible. Cannot explain better than that! Lol.

F-15:

Doesn't seem as bad as A-10. However, one huge issue... green dot dead center of HUD. Dunno what that's about.

I didn't have the energy to test other aircraft.

TracerFacer
Colonel
Colonel
United States of America

Post by TracerFacer » 29 May 2017, 03:53

Turning deferred shading on makes it washed for me. I also keep HDR off as well as MSAA.

Moose
Captain
Captain
United States of America

Post by Moose » 29 May 2017, 04:39

Thanks for the notes Tracer. I'll give those a try. From what I've been reading unless you get some sort of standalone adjuster, You just have to cope until ED decides to make changes.

pyromaniac4002
Colonel
Colonel
United States of America

Post by pyromaniac4002 » 29 May 2017, 05:11

Moose wrote:
29 May 2017, 01:30
It's shameful to say, but as far as overclocking or what my rig is capable of... I have no clue. I'm fairly fresh in the PC realm. Should I look into getting that done?
Now that I look it up it looks like it's a laptop CPU? I didn't realize you were flying on a laptop. That's pretty awesome.

Often laptops aren't great overclocking candidates even if they do have the ability to do so, but I'm seeing a lot of stuff that that processor in particular is pretty good for it. They make a 4.0 GHz overclock sound like a breeze, but I'd look up what people were able to do with your exact laptop before I'd recommend trying it out yourself. If the cooling isn't up to speed you could run in to thermal issues or if the power supply doesn't have extra juice on tap that could be a problem, but it seems the chip itself is good and stable.

And if we were talking something besides DCS I'd probably just leave it be, but DCS is pretty CPU heavy and the lazy Russian coding means it likes single threads at high clock speeds. The Turbo clock of 3.6 GHz isn't terrible, but if you could get to 4.0 GHz or just beyond it could be worthwhile.

Moose
Captain
Captain
United States of America

Post by Moose » 29 May 2017, 10:31

Yup rocking the laptop! It has done really well. Once I get settled back in the states I'm planning to get a desktop. More power!!

Really helpful info BTW thanks!