AIR : LAND : SEA : FIGHT!

Fighting 99th Forum

Occulus snooping?

8 years 2 weeks ago
TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 2 weeks ago
TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
Occulus snooping? #3522
At least face book is free as they use you.

Now with Occulus they get you to pay them to monitor your very movements. Nice gig if your a zuckerberg.

This leaves me out. I refuse to be a part of that kind of Orwellian bs or have anything to do with Facebook.

8 years 2 weeks ago
pyromaniac4002
More
Occulus snooping? #3523
I don't know how much it will amount to in practical terms, but in principle it's enough to ruin the Rift for me. Before the Facebook takeover I was sure I'd eventually pick one up, but now I'm definitely going to be saving up that couple hundred dollars more to get the Vive.

8 years 2 weeks ago
Narokuu
More
Occulus snooping? #3527
its why i wanted to make a pit, and not get a rift/vive, i knew facebook would be up to no good.

8 years 2 weeks ago
Alphaskoom
More
Occulus snooping? #3529
guess im now an old fart too, i dont like all this new age connect everything and integrated bs that these big companies are doing. its like cellphones now too. who knows how much information our cellphones are sending on a regular basis without us knowing, i still havnt figured out whats keeping my phone to not go into "sleep mode" but, dare a say it, my iphone 4 - before IOS-6 came out, it would last 2 days, charge it every other night, now my 3rd phone since then cant last more than a day and a half, and ive disabled just about everything i can without making it useless, i dont care about these push notifications or email alerts, ill check that crap when i get home. i dont mean to pull the conversation away from these VR kits, but im worried about what new things are being added that we may not know about. for instance, google tracking - i never knew about it till about 2-3 years ago, i could see my daily routine and where all i drove, i never turned that on. and of corse they wouldnt tell u its tracking you unless u ask about it. i did disable this feature btw.

its kinda dawned on me though what naro's talking about and it got me thinking, a mutli monitor pit could not require a track IR anymore, though i think ill still use it, itll just be much less sensitive im guessing.

8 years 2 weeks ago
TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
Occulus snooping? #3530
You are spot on alpha. I go out of my way to disconnect myself rather than connecting everything I own to the Web. All of the convenience and entertainment these things offer come with hooks.

I get a free service. But after you pay they have no business taking a single byte from me or making me to agree to any type of tracking. I mean the arrogance! If they want to track ANYTHING I need to be able to opt in.. . Being tracked should not be a requirement to use the hardware I've purchased.

Then you start looking at the collusion of big data companies and government...

George Orwell would be impressed.

8 years 2 weeks ago
Cygon_Parrot
More
Occulus snooping? #3532
Ya, I think Echelon always was on steroids, even when it was only the Five Eyes.

You're screwed anyway.

Guys, you speak my thoughts exactly.

I'm out, regarding the Oculus, BTW. Those things have been around for so long and their development neglected. I think I already mentioned somewhere else on the forum that I tried a prototype way back in the mid-nineties. A great pity they're being revived with an ulterior motive.

Sadly, I have to have an iPad because the company I work for requires it for a certain piece of work related software. It is almost always in "airplane" mode, though how trustworthy that is I don't really know. It is a no brainer that Apple and Samsung may just as easily have an exclusive quiet mode connect on opportunity window to available networks for tracking and activity update purposes. And though I might be tempted to feel safe about having an old, bobby basic cellphone, there's little doubt that is also in the net, albeit perhaps a slightly more limited way. Hell, they've caught suspects based on their old tech cellphones and which tower they had been hooked to at a given time near a crime scene, haven't they?

And even what I am doing right here and right now, well. Need I say more than Assange? We were already screwed, long ago. We had a long chat about this surveillance issue and its motives with Iron Nuts on TS some time ago, which is also doubtless recorded. At the end of it, he left them a little unprintable message, which he hopes they'll enjoy, LOL! None of us can now do much about erasing our profiles, only strive not to raise them more.

Yeah, it is scary. However, (cue a solemn sounding voice reverberating with the wisdom of the ages) "What have you got to hide?"

Pffff! Ya.... LOL!

8 years 2 weeks ago
Alphaskoom
More
Occulus snooping? #3533
yea i already agree were screwed as it is, but i think now its starting to get a bit out of hand with some things. cant stand looking at peoples smart phones and looking at their top task bar thing, and it has the little arrow with the plus sign on it saying theres so many notifications it cant even display them all.. hell for me i ADDED the percent battery, got my network connection, wifi strength, alarm and clock, and that's it up top. back to the VR kits, i do belive that this will eventually take off, though i dont see it as being up to par at the moment, its been in its infancy for quite a while now, and though technology is catching up, its still not up to standards id like to see. of corse its all profit margins, what id want is feasible, but un marketable cause it would be ridiculously expensive. idk if u guys have seen it or not but there was a battlefield 3 VR room they made with roller floors and surround type projectors ( projectors i despise btw ) anyway it was an interesting idea, though i doubt will all of these new VR things, their ability to do things in a finite detail like a mouse can do.

Heres the video thing, might have to skip around some and deal with the overzealous TV talk, but still interesting concept

also, the LAG!! wow..

8 years 2 weeks ago
TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
Occulus snooping? #3534
And yet.. with all their powers of mass surveillance, they can't seem to stop the terrorism from happening? How is that possible? They either don't actually have this power, or they are purposefully not using it, and allowing terrorism to happen. They use the excuse of terrorism to increase their power.

The government, asks the govt if the government can have more power. The government having no problem with the government having more power grants the government the power the government says it needs to protect "the people" and to have continuity of government.

I'm pretty sure I'm on a list now. As are you all. My apologies. (middle finger to the list makers!)

8 years 2 weeks ago
Cygon_Parrot
More
Occulus snooping? #3540

And creates/allows/promotes the situation(s)/threat(s) required to mitigate that increase in power? Can't remember the exact example now, but this has been done all the way back to the Roman Empire.

Something had to stand in for the sorely missed Cold War, though.

Actually, we're getting into conspiracy theory territory (see note) now, which I tend to steer clear of normally, but granted you never know when one out of a dozen might have hit the nail on the head. 'Nuff said.

:D

Note: These "theories" almost invariably go into the alien buzz theme, and stuff like how we are being bred as sustenance for a race that is running out of food, or such, and our governments are cooperating to spare a vital nucleus, and all that rubbish. I don't buy it, and it is quite apart from the punctual concern about mass surveillance and the use of our entertainment to that end.

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds