Attack on player air fields in nevada

The Fighting 99th Dedicated DCS Server.
NickJZX100
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Canada

Post by NickJZX100 » 05 Sep 2016, 17:18

Ok so what I'm understanding from this is, having these tanks originally coming from henderson and then manually driving them up north isn't fair game and considered ban worthy? I don't quite understand that. No I do not remember who it was. I did get into a position, while avoiding all the enemy shit to engage blue units.

If you want the mission to keep going maybe have it that after a set amount of time that it sees red units in the zone, a group of abrams spawns? Then you can also roll that armor over to boulder to help.

Cooper
Major
Major
United States of America

Post by Cooper » 05 Sep 2016, 17:30

As a KA50 pilot I believe airport interdiction is an important role of my airframe. Harassing and/or temporarily shutting down an airport is a very valuable strategy. When I join a server with 15 people on blue and 2 or three on red, I know my briefing mission will be very difficult to achieve if not impossible. Constantly getting shot down by jets using radar guided missiles on a helicopter is a good way to ruin my fun. Especially when someone is using ground commander to vector the jets to me (why that’s needed for a KA50 pilot is beyond me). It’s very easy for a jet to put a KA50 in a helpless position, but almost impossible for the tables to be turned. War is unfair and I accept that, but we can level the field so that everyone has fun. Very rarely is an airport under attack without friendly CAP in the air. TS or chat is a great tool to remedy the situation by calling CAP back to the airport. Some of your missions clearly state – no attacking aircraft on the ground, landing or taking off. Since I was asked not to attack airports and take aircraft on the ground on your server I have not done so. But I have been hit on the ground at my Farp many times. I respect the rule and will continue to respect the rule. I do not hit jets on the ground or choppers on the ground at the Farp, even if the rule is not stated. I prefer to hunt chopper or take jets in the air. I will however hit choppers on the ground dropping troops or MANPADS. I also set up ambush points near the AO or Farp.

I do however suggest a compromise. Set a trigger so that once the airports air defenses have been destroyed and an enemy aircraft lands at the airport, the airport changes hands or the mission restarts. Air defenses, not endless amounts empty trucks. That gives the choppers another way to win in an unbalanced server and motivation for the cap to return and provide support. Also add an “alert” chopper at a Farp near the airport, player not AI, for airport defense. Obviously it will take great skill for chopper pilots to achieve this without getting shot down, but that’s what this sim is all about. Then keep and enforce the rules on landing, taking off and on the ground. Then everyone is happy. Keep in mind, we chopper pilots are helpless most of the time (– at least some of us are) ….. ;)

Narokuu
Captain
Captain
United States of America

Post by Narokuu » 05 Sep 2016, 17:44

I can agree 100% if the airport is taken over by red, just restart the mission. i see no issues with this. im just not a fan of people getting killed over and over again. Just allow red to win and restart.

Sweeper
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States of America

Post by Sweeper » 05 Sep 2016, 17:59

Zulu 1
Captain
Captain
United States of America

Post by Zulu 1 » 05 Sep 2016, 18:18

I've noticed here on and a few other servers some people get really upset when getting knocked out, or shot down while taking off. Personally I think it is all part of the game. When I was at Hill A.F.B. that was part of the many drills: Get those planes up! We had jets come in from Mountain Home, Davis–Monthan, Nellis, the Marines in F-4's ,Navy F-14's all flew in to take out out brand new F-16s.
When I shipped out to Bitburg AB, it was the same there and a critical part of NATO TAC Evals. The British, the Germans, French, EVERYONE came after us and our F-15's. One year a F-104 Starfighter, actually dropped fuel pods near the Sound Suppressor I was working in.
When those sirens began to whirl it really meant look out!

And that is where my handle ZULU comes from: Alert jets on standby...fully armed ready to launch....
Essentially it comes down to game design...

Oh by the way...Note the single fuel tank...I am unsure who came up with the 2 fuel tanks being less drag...
Attachments
BitburgZulu_2016-09-05.jpg
BitburgZulu_2016-09-05.jpg (70.19 KiB) Viewed 836 times

runny
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada

Post by runny » 05 Sep 2016, 19:03

I don't think there is ever a time where it's ok to be a jerk, regardless of what rules are in place. If anyone is attacking bases, then they're putting themselves in a position which has potential for other people to get upset with them. Therefore, one should ask themselves if it's even worth it to go there at all.

Everything boils down to not being a jerk AND not being ignorant to how you're effecting the gameplay of the people you're around. All of us play on this server because of the other people in it so don't screw it up for yourself.

That said I do think we've become a bit soft. Our first reaction to being attacked at base seems to be 'oh that's not fair' instead of taking on a challenge (and @cooper, yes it's a challenge to find you- radar isn't designed to find slow movers).

This stuff doesn't just apply to base attacking. A little bit of social intelligence goes a long way in comms, gameplay in general, and pretty much everything.

IMO just don't do too much negative stuff. That includes bragging, swearing, complaining, helo sniping in fighter jets, base attacking, dominating comms, team switching, griefing, pouting, slandering, too many 'suggested changes', gossiping, lewd jokes, ect ect ect.

Do a little bit because it's weird if you never do any of that but clue in when you are and limit it.

If we can all do that then we don't need any rules.

Besides, we all know the intent of the rules we do have so we break them all the time. We're not actually kicking members for teamkilling when the mission has 30 seconds left.
It's never about the action itself.

Narokuu
Captain
Captain
United States of America

Post by Narokuu » 05 Sep 2016, 19:15

I get shot down in a Ka-50 all the time by Air, both red and AI, no one shows me any mercy. As people have said before its war and it sucks, so i just deal, with it and adapt. Just have to have an objective for red or blue if they take an air field it resets or something, i dont see a big deal.

runny
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada

Post by runny » 05 Sep 2016, 19:25

That may work but it also might turn every mission into 'cap the base'. I'm sure people will be upset when the mission never lasts more than 10 min because the base capper guy is online. He'll think he's fine too because it's built into the mission.

NickJZX100
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Canada

Post by NickJZX100 » 05 Sep 2016, 19:31

Boulder has a group that heads to nellis, actually 2 or 3.

Narokuu
Captain
Captain
United States of America

Post by Narokuu » 05 Sep 2016, 19:31

Fair enough i see both sides, just make a set of rules and ti will be followed, its simple.