Attack on player air fields in nevada

The Fighting 99th Dedicated DCS Server.
Squid
Major
Major
United States of America

Post by Squid » 05 Sep 2016, 03:37

What is everyone's view on attacking a player airbase? It is the most frustrating thing to spin up (sometimes for several minutes) an aircraft just to watch it explode on the deck. At that point, the game for me is over. If I can't affect the outcome of a battle, for me I see no reason to keep spawning and blowing up. If everyone is cool with this kind of stuck I will quit my complaining here and suck it up. But I think that it sucks and ruins the game for me. Two nights of rage quit for me. not a fun labor weekend on our servers.

Sweeper
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States of America

Post by Sweeper » 05 Sep 2016, 04:16

pyromaniac4002
Colonel
Colonel
United States of America

Post by pyromaniac4002 » 05 Sep 2016, 08:16

And now that Sweeper is done, I'd say I can definitely understand what you're saying Squid. Was it a particular map that you kept getting killed on? Also was it Red AI or a player that kept killing you?

In most (if not all) of our missions now, Tracer includes an air start F-15 called "Alert Fighter" or something that's perfect for taking out an enemy camping the base. Once you shoot them down, they don't start close enough to get to you before you can get off the ground and it's never really much of a problem. My inclination is to lean toward a "let it play out" stance rather than try to build in some sort of immunity for people on the ground starting up, but of course I'm always able to hop in one of those Alert Fighter slots and take them out with relative ease. If it's really a persistent issue and you guys are finding yourselves pinned hopelessly on the ground, we can take some appropriate measures on your behalf.

For instance, if it's just one persistent Redfor douchebag like what-his-face who was talking a bunch of smack against us Wednesday or Thursday, I'd be more than happy to personally ban that person. After killing them a few more times for good measure, of course.

Squid
Major
Major
United States of America

Post by Squid » 05 Sep 2016, 15:41

This time it was ground forces that were moved via ground commander. I think it's kind of a symptom of the boulder mission as the forces are near by for that to happen. It's a fun mission, but with skilled red commanders and helicopters it can get tough fast. I was mad because of spool up times, just to get blown up, but maybe it's just me bud. I'll take a break and come back to it all later.

Sweeper
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States of America

Post by Sweeper » 05 Sep 2016, 15:46

Hmmmmmmmm.........We have an alert "fighter" - What about an alert striker? Su-25T with rockets maybe? (so it isn't OP - alert fighters are typically heat only...)

Narokuu
Captain
Captain
United States of America

Post by Narokuu » 05 Sep 2016, 16:19

I remember there being a huge forum post, defending people attacking air fields, i got upset one day when a Ka-50 was camping our farp/dob/air field. I personally dont like it when someone attacks/camps bases. But i dont make the rules, i just deal with it.

TracerFacer
Colonel
Colonel
United States of America

Post by TracerFacer » 05 Sep 2016, 16:45

The "Alert Fighter" doesn't really deal with this well, since it's easy to hide a bmp in a building. A single GC doing this can be very effective in shutting down the airbase. It's fun if your the guy doing it. Not so fun if your the guy who just spun up his mi8. I get it. As a huey and a10 pilot, I get it.

On the flip side of that.. we are simulating war after all. Sometimes we get overrun.

It is definitely easier to do on the Boulder mission. I will try to think of a way to limit how long something like that can go on. Maybe a script monitoring the zone for red ground forces, and if they've been there for 20 mins - red wins and we restart the mission.

The alert fighter worked well to stop the air campers for the most part.

I would like to try to find a game mechanic that can limit this rather than a hard fast rules that says you can't attack the base.

tomemot
Captain
Captain
United States of America

Post by tomemot » 05 Sep 2016, 16:51

you could create a tank swarm that pushes red back...

NickJZX100
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Canada

Post by NickJZX100 » 05 Sep 2016, 17:03

So the deal was we had red tanks on top of Nellis, I was getting picked off by A-10s with JTAC's on the mountain. G-man was supporting in a Su-27 and was getting engaged by tons of fighters, there was a ridiculous amount of units stacked against us including air defense. I was in a t-90 in the south western end of Nellis and saw one F-15 spooling, now to be fair I had no idea who was in it at all. I saw it firing up and had to wait to manually load the tank again. I picked off the first one, a couple moments later another one spawned in a completely different spot. There were enough players that I didn't even think twice that maybe it was the same person let alone you Squid.

I did not purposely kill you twice and when you came into our channel I apologized. It was 3 people versus 15 or more. I mean honestly, would you think it's the same person jumping into the slot? Usually if I die, I will jump down a slot and back into the one I was just in. When I saw the new F-15 using one of our skins I figured it had been someone else, considering we had several Su-27 AI's nearby (doing nothing I might add), it only seemed normal that lots of CAP would be scrambled to deal with the air threat.

That T-90 I drove up, came from Mccarran and it took 40ish minutes of me evading your JTAC and not getting shacked by A-10s and whatever else could find us to get to Nellis. Again Squid, I apologize. I did not mean to kill you directly, twice and when you came into the channel I felt bad. We all took a minute and realized that you were actually mad and that surprised us.

I agree that maybe we need a trigger for it to end when we sit on the airfield long enough and it declares red victorious. We sat on that airfield multiple times for hours.

I definitely understand how you feel about getting killed on the ground, having been killed by KA-50s while at 3 out of 4 minutes on my A-10 Alignment or being knocked out by an r-73 while taxiing, or rolling down the runway. It's not fun, especially twice in a row.

pyromaniac4002
Colonel
Colonel
United States of America

Post by pyromaniac4002 » 05 Sep 2016, 17:10

Yeah, that's not "fair game." Those aren't earned kills, it's a matter of spending 30 seconds giving a bunch of units a move order and waiting until they get there. People who do that should be and usually are banned when we catch them. Do you remember who it was?

If someone were putting in the time and effort to get to a position where they could hit you on the ground from the air, then it's a bit of tough luck until you can fend them off or they run out of ammo. But using the ground commander like that is definitely crossing over the "griefing" line. When that happens, get somebody to ban them if you don't have SLMOD access yourself and we'll restart the mission or load a new one. I'm inclined to think trying to build in a bunch of counter-ground units or some kind of scripting trickery will just end up in more lag and memory leaks, so I'd suggest we stick with the simplicity of the tried-and-true banhammer.